Let's see your Varmint rifles !

Here is my Remington SPS Varmint in the 22-250 with a Shooters Ridge bipod and a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44 Mill Dot scope on it. I will starty reloading for it next week. Dale
picturesfromoldcomputer306.jpg

picturesfromoldcomputer305.jpg

picturesfromoldcomputer328.jpg

picturesfromoldcomputer320.jpg

All Savage or Stevens actions. All but two chambers were smittied by me.

Top to bottom:

Stevens action, aftermarket thumbhole laminate stock (the electric blue and yellow grows on you after some time!), factory Savage 1:9 twist 223 barrel now in the form of 223 AI, topped with a Leupold Mark 4, M1, 16x40 mil dot.

Purpose built walkaround varmint rifle known as "Super Duece". Stevens action bedded in Duramax stock with a 28" Shilen SS select match 1:8 twist light varmint/heavy sporter barrel chambered in 222 Mag Ackley Improved. Slings 80 gr AMax's at 3050 with a variety of powders. Just started to work with this one. Extended range accuracy is VERY good. 204 Ruger cases necked up provide cheap brass to use. Off the shelf 223 AI dies work well for reloading.

Thumbhole laminate with vented forearm holds a Savage action with a 1:9 twist Savage barrel chambered in 223 AI. Wears a Konus Pro M30 6-24x50 mildot scope.

The BVSS stock holds a new single shot Savage stainless action screwed together with a 1:8 twist McGowen barrel. Fun rig with 69 gr bullets or heavier (shoots the lighter bullets as well). Jury is still out on this scope, have to take the time and get used to it.

Savage 110 long action, walnut stock, factory stainless barrel with muzzle brake, in 7mm Rem Mag is the rifle I built last year to hunt with. Purchased each piece to put together a rifle that has enough to reach out there. Original Savage walnut stock was a beater bought on the internet that refinished nicely. Original aluminum butt plate was a pleasant surprise. Wears a 5-20x40 Bushnell of the "made in Japan" variety. Turrets dial up easily and stay on target as well.

Stevens long action purchased at a local pawn shop provided the action and stock for a 6mm AI chrome moly Shilen barrel. So far, shoots rather well. Wears a Leupold 6-18x40 with target dot and turrets.

Last, but not least, the one that really started it all. Call this rifle "Black n Silver" or "Raider". Stevens action bedded in a B & C Medalist stock. Factory Savage 1:9 twist stainless barrel chambered in 223 AI provides LOTS of fun in the prairie dog fields. Burris 6-24x40 Fullfield II with ballistic reticle provides a good picture for prey in the field. Rifle has several thousand rounds down the tube.

IMG00547.jpg

DALESCARPENTRY, great looking rig, looks sharp. Excellent clarity on the pics too. What set up did you use to take the pics?

acloco, nice collection of rifles you have there. Thanks for taking the time to write a little bit about each one and sharing.

Ok so I just got my build together this week and i've shot about 60rds through it. I started cleaning it every shot for about 5 shots then every 3 then 15 or so etc. Haven't noticed any copper foulling at all. its weird. my last barrel would have a fair bit of copper. Anyway went to the range today to sight in for a tourny on sat. I shot a bunch of groups and this was the first group at 200. My best ever and dont give me crap about it being only 3 shots. I couldn't see he "holes" so i thought something was up and decided to switch targets. Little did i know the group was this good.

Its a stevens 200 action 223 rem
mcgowen heavy stainless .875 contour 26 inch 1-9 twist
ross LRV stock from stockys. fits 4.4 inch action
lightened the trigger with a new .041 spring
bedrock bedding with pillars

I have one issue. As my lovely dog decided to pose for the shot. however he knocked my gun over and i'm worried that my zero will be shot. What do you guys think. It currently has a pine ridge 6-18-40 scope. Its not mine but can it get knocked about a little or is it probably off now?

200ydgroup.jpg

newrig.jpg

Last edited:
neutral, great looking rig and a heck of a group. IMHO I'd double everything's still tight and recheck zero.

I hope its ok but i will probably go early to a different range and shoot a few. make sure its still sighted in. tourny is in the morning and it starts at 8 am. hope i wake up in time.

Sharpshooter243, any chance of getting you to post your pics, would love to see it.