Lets see your best rifle paintjobs!

heathbaker

Have you ever tried to spray praint your rifle? I have experimented with it several times. Seems like every weekend im tinkering around in the garage and come up with a new idea for a paint scheme. Painting your rifle is something that I found takes a lot of patience but is also a great fun ... "it also takes several cans of Krylon and paint remover and about a thousand rags also" However, done right it can turn a cool rifle ... into a bad mamajamma. Tell me what ya think about this paint scheme on the ole hogue. I have several other paint schemes that will post later this weekend.

Post your rifle pics lets see how they turned out!

216703_516620482608_135700757_30493321_1283477_n.jpg

Good stuff. I'm curious, about the hogue stock. How did you paint it what paint, etc? How's the paint holding up, etc? I have one I've thought of tinkering with but have heard it may not take to paint too well. Thanks in advance.

It wont hold up well unless you apply a base coat of Bulldog promoter. It can be picked up at o reilleys for around 15 bucks. You apply it and let it dry for five min. Apply your paint, after the paint dries I apply a Bulldog protective clear coat. So far its held up great. I use krylon camo paint. Comes in flat brown, black, tan, and green.

That's a great tip! Thanks, heath. I'm guessing that it hardens the flexible/rubbery feel of the Hogue?

Thanks!

A shot from last winter. I was going to tape over the paint job, but, decided against it for fear it would harm the paint and I would have to redo it. It didnt turn out to be a problem.
Mark
MarkandPatrickcoyotes2010.jpg

And the same gun in October.
MarkandCoyoteBushmasterAR15nodak.jpg

Looks great Mark! Those are a couple of really cool pics. And your rifle looks to be a coyote killin machine. What did you use to do your pattern?

I'm thinking of going with a desert camo type pattern, using actual twigs, grasses, brush as stencils. I've got the hoge green stock so I don't mind if a little of that show through. Does the bulldog stuff change the color at all? Or maybe you don't know. Thanks again for the input/help.

Heath- thank you. It is a shooter. Great rifle for coyotes.
What I did is place loose bundles of Killerweed ( a type of rafia grass) all over the rifle, and dusted it with a khaki color.
When that dried, I wrapped the Killerweed tightly around the rifle and dusted in a darker color, in a hap hazzard pattern to get depth. This left distinct lines where the grass was tight.
Then I just eyeballed it and added here and there.
Lastly, I used a natural sponge, and added that pattern to it wherever it needed it. The entire process took less than 20 minutes.
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.