Lets hear the pro's and con's TRG-S 338 Lapua....

NorthernSniper

Lets hear the pro\'s and con\'s TRG-S 338 Lapua....

O.K. guy's I'm thinking about picking up a TRG-S 338 Lapua for hunting big game and long range paper punching, got any thoughts on this? Is the recoil managable or would the average shooter be better off with a brake? Sounds like an all purpose caliber to me what do you think?
smile.gif

Re: Lets hear the pro\'s and con\'s TRG-S 338 Lapua....

I don't own one but was thinking about buying one about a year ago. When I asked about it I heard that the stock wasn't real good, kinda flimsy and had a weird recoil lug system, needed to be bedded with an add on recoil lug. And yes you would need a brake installed and possibly firelap the barrel. One of the guys that emailed me said he had a brake installed and firelapped the barrel, said his rifle shot very well without adding a recoil lug..
I have a single shot 338 Lapua built with the same receiver as the TRG-S but it has a different barrel, recoil lug, brake and McMillan stock.
Hope this helps some,
Wayne

Re: Lets hear the pro\'s and con\'s TRG-S 338 Lapua....

frown.gif
Actualy I'm having the same sort of problems as petander I was thinking of returning this rifle and exchanging it for a 338 Lapua. I did the glass bedding and replaced the recoil lug, this helped a lot but every time I do a fix or change to a different powder or bullet the accuracy I regain falls off again. Personaly I think the barrel rifling is just not up to the job, when you look at it it is not cut very deeply and is just not beefy enough for my liking. How would anybody expect rifling that shallow to get a good bite on the bullet? I'm not real keen on rebarreling right now that would likely add another $1000.00 bill to the saga. I have said it before and I'll say it again! if you want a decent rifle you are going to have to pay an arm and a leg for it or build it from scatch yourself!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.