Let your imagination run wild!

wyomingblizzard

Like the title says, lets see what you come up with. What I have is a 30+ year old 700 adl in 25-06 with a shot out barrel. I have killed a lot of game and varmits with this rifle over the years. This is the first rifle I bought. Now it is time to breed new life in to it, or at least the action. What I would like is your ideas on what new chambering for balistic preformance, accuracy and barrel life. Rifle to be used for hunting out to 600-700 and targets to 1000. Please include barrel length and twist.Also I do not want a chamering that is a pain to build brass for. Now let see what your imaginations can come up with. lightbulb

Storm, i think a medium to large 7mm would fit the bill. And since you have a standard bolt face, a 284 win or 280/280 A.I. would fit nicely. The 284 win and 280 rem will have around 2500 rounds of barrel life or more and the 284 win is coming back as an awesome f-class round. Record-Setting .284 Win F-Classer These two cartridges only need a 25" barrel minimum to perform well. I just got my 284 win back from the smith with a Bartlein #3 contour 1:8 twist.
Take care and find us some good bulls!! :D:D gun)

I would have to agree on the 7mm, I would say 284 Win or 7mm WSM. I would go 26-28" and contour depending on how much you want to carry. I would go .700" at the muzzle at least. 1/8.5-9" twist.

Let's see,

6.5x284 Norma
lilja #4 26" 8 twist fluted
McMillan edge stock
Timney Trigger 2#

Sounds pretty good to me.

Have fun with the remodel.

.280 Ackley Improved, 26" 1:9 twist, Sendero contour Rock Creek 5R Obermeyer rifling. Trued, balanced, blueprinted, & squared. Hand lapped everything. Custom spiral-fluted bolt. Badger bolt knob. Jewell 1.25lb trigger. JE Enterprises Benchrest chassis system. Leave the barrel stainless, matte black cerakoted bolt & reciever. AICS 10rd mags. NF 0 MOA 1-piece base. NF HD 30mm rings. NF NXS 5.5-22x56 High Speed, Zero Stop, MOAR reticle.

Custom loads using 168gr Berger VLD's, Nosler brass, Fed GMM primers.

That would be my ultimate rig!

I'd say throw an oversized/one piece PTG bolt with M-16 extractor in there with the mag bolt face. Run a 28" Sendero or M24 contour .30 cal 10 twist tube with a good brake on the end. McMillan A-5 stock or course with a single shot follower bedded in there.

Chambering? Straight up 300 Win Mag throated for 215 or 230 Bergers. Longer barrel life than the 7mm counterparts with nearly identical external ballistic performance. No fussing with trying to find WSM brass, very easy to load for, on game performance will exceed 600-700 yds & target accuracy to 1mile.

Is it as sexy as new chamberings? No, it doesn't have to be when it kicks their butt at almost everything.

t

Like the title says, lets see what you come up with. What I have is a 30+ year old 700 adl in 25-06 with a shot out barrel. I have killed a lot of game and varmits with this rifle over the years. This is the first rifle I bought. Now it is time to breed new life in to it, or at least the action. What I would like is your ideas on what new chambering for balistic preformance, accuracy and barrel life. Rifle to be used for hunting out to 600-700 and targets to 1000. Please include barrel length and twist.Also I do not want a chamering that is a pain to build brass for. Now let see what your imaginations can come up with. lightbulb

This sounds like my personal story! I bought the first year 25-06 ever chambered in a factory 700 Remington BDL. It was GREAT rifle and I shot it until it was practically a smooth bore. I think I was 22 when I bought it and am now 66 and still shoot it. I first rebarelled to 6.5-06 A.I. when I moved west in 1975 and killed some 25 bull elk, countless deer, a few black bear, and a moose. When that barrel was completely toast, I decided to improve on the A.I. since I was wildcatting anyway. This was when I designed the 6.5 Sherman a few years back and it is the best yet. Cases are easy to form, and ballistics are impressive. 3200' with 140's in a 26" barrel and 3050' with the new 160 Marix at .720 B.C. Since I've seen what the 140's did on 25 bulls, etc., I can't wait to see the 160 in action! Unless you really prefer a large capacity bigbore, you will be hard pressed to find something that will shoot flatter and buck the wind better at 1000 yards, and certainly not with the mild recoil. Barrel life has been very good on mine thus far. I have approx. 1500 rounds through it and it still shoots 1/2 moa. I attribute this to the case design somewhat, with the 40 degree shoulder and relatively long neck which keeps the flamepoint inside the neck rather than directly into the throat. Also,you don't have to spend the kids inheritance to make a real shooter. Just have a smith put on a quality barrel and go hunting. (maybe a #5, 26", 8 twist) There are a few more out there now so if anyoone else wants to chime in, go for it!:D .........Rich

If you are replacing the bolt then do a 7mm stw. If not do a 270, 280, or 280 ai. 24" pipe for the standard and 26-28" for the 7stw. Get rid of the Walker trigger and go with an aftermarket if it isn't good; have it tuned at the least. The chassis systems look like hell; I'd go with a bedding block fiberglass stock or a laminate.

If you reload a 6.5 x 06 will work out just right.
Same family of cartridges, Same kind of loads,
and a close relative of the 25-06.
Lots and lots of good BC bullets, handles the same and shoots farther.

You can get a Remmy profile barrel from Southern Precision Rifles .
Then all you need is a good gunsmith.

Thanks guys. I do reload, and already have 30s and 338s.
Rich your Sherman is one of the few I have been considering. Also have thought about a short mag, with the long action I would be able to seat the bullets out. Thinking 6.5 or 7mm this time.
I have one of Kirbys big toys on order, so it will be a little while before I start on this project. When I make a chamering choise I will start ordering part as the money comes along.

Whats the mag length? I had my 284 win throated LONG for the 195 berger when it comes out and even with the hypothetical 195 berger touching the lands i will have about .1 of room in the mag of my savage LA. a 7mm WSM or a 7mm RSAUM would also fit the mag with long bullets but will require a bolt face change and feed lip change..... But.... i wouldnt mind giving the 6.5 sherman a try. :D :D

Straight up 300 Win Mag throated for 215 or 230 Bergers.

t

#1, I just set re-baralled one of my Brownings with a sendeor contour 26" schillen tube in 300 Win added a McMillan A3-5 stock and now enjoy 1/2 MOA accuracy.....keep it simple.

Another option and one I would like to try someday would be a 6.5-06, I think this would be a sweet setup shooting 140gr pills, of course the 280AI is another great choice but I personally would do either a 300 mag or 6.5-06.

I also like the ideal of Rich's Sherman. It sounds like a real winner and the recoil should be not bad at all. I have a regular 6.5x284 and love it. I just wish the barrel was a longer. My volicity seem a little slow but I only have a 24 inch barrel. 2842fps. my 2 cents.

Thanks guys. I do reload, and already have 30s and 338s.
Rich your Sherman is one of the few I have been considering. Also have thought about a short mag, with the long action I would be able to seat the bullets out. Thinking 6.5 or 7mm this time.
I have one of Kirbys big toys on order, so it will be a little while before I start on this project. When I make a chamering choise I will start ordering part as the money comes along.

Don't know if you have followed the other thread on the new 6.5 SS but I think, for a short action, this one is really going to shine as well. i.e. you don't need a long action to seat your bullets out and it should duplicate the original Sherman in velocity.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.