Let the coyote hunting begin!

Korhil78

Well it is that time of year in Southern New Mexico where it starts getting colder and the coyotes have a harder time finding food. So, they come into the call a little better.

Being VERY adventurous, I hopped onto my ATV and road approximately 300 yards from my house (haha, dont laugh!). I walked about another 100 yards where the rancher drops off his cattle that die. He had dropped off two small heifers about three weeks ago. These had already been eaten but I knew that there had to be a coyote hanging around (mainly because he tormented me and the dogs at night by barking at the dogs). I got to a mesquite tree and started to set up there. I pulled out one leg of my bipod and grimaced as the bipod leg made a loud SNAP as it locked into place. I thought to myself that a coyote's ears could have not possibly missed that sound. I then quietly locked the other leg into place and set my 6.5 Grendel AR on the ground. I then remembered that my cellphone was not silenced! The only problem was that my cellphone was in my jacket pocket that closes with velcro! Not exactly the quietest thing to open! Oh well! SCRREEAATTCCH! as I open the pocket and silence the cellphone. My confidence is a little shot at this point but I get all set up to call anyway. I put the Ruffidawg coaxer in my mouth and start calling for about 20 seconds and then stop. I look at my rifle to make sure that it is in place and ready. It is so I look up and a large male coyote runs out of the brush about 100 yards away from me. I sit up and get the rifle shouldered as the coyote does the OH CRAP! stop and looks straight at me. As I place the dot reticle in his lung area and slowly start to squeeze the trigger, I can almost read his face as it is telling me that he has just really messed up! The bullet strikes him right behind the shoulder and he starts doing that spin move and trying to bite whatever just bit him! He tries to run off and just face plants into the dirt. The 100 grain Ballistic Tip did its job out of my AR. The bullet either blew up or it curved down because as you can see in the pic, the entry wound is right behind his shoulder but there is a big hole in his stomach! No more coyote tormenting me or making the dogs bark at night!

This coyote came in within not even 1 minute of when I stopped calling which goes to show if they are curious or hungry that you can make some noise and they will still come!

Coyote 2.jpg

Nice one man! I got one tonight too but didn't bother going down to pick him up and take pictures. By the time I could have the field was full of deer and I didn't want to bother them!

Saw two more yotes and another bobcat on the way back into town though after dark. It's been a tough year for them with the drought and once I get my buck it's going to be an even tougher year !

Nice rig by the way, looks like nearly a twin to mine. What scope have you got on it?

WildRose,

It is a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done every time. I didn't have quite as Fargo walk to get to mine for the pic haha! Deer season is over here for mulies so I'm not worried about scaring anything off. I do miss that long Texas deer season though!

WildRose,

It is a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done every time. I didn't have quite as Fargo walk to get to mine for the pic haha! Deer season is over here for mulies so I'm not worried about scaring anything off. I do miss that long Texas deer season though!
Well it looks good on there! I came very close to putting a Nikon Tactical on my .260 as well but at the last minute got a great deal on the IOR. Of course the IOR may be soon moving to yet another rifle... .gun)

Congrats again.

Never had any experience with the IOR scopes. What is your opinion?

That is the only Nikon that I have ever owned but it is clear and I love the target dot for varmint hunting. It really gives me something to focus on because if you are looking at the target when you are shooting then you are doing it wrong.

I don't like Mil-dot scopes or ballistic compensating reticles because its just too much for me to look through. Kind of takes my attention away from what I should be focusing on. That is just me though. I am sure if I spent some time with it that I would get used to it.

I have lately been a leupold person. I like there 30 mm scopes.

I think my daughter is a little twisted. The bigger the mess the higher the "cool" factor.

I've got her convinced coyotes eat cute baby animals so she really hates yotes and don't even get her started on wolves. :D

Attachments

• Eyote.jpg
    Eyote.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 107
I love bloodthirsty children. I got my neices started shooting at 7 and 5 years old, and a year later had them pinging steel pie plates at 300yds with my 7mm mag HA!

What you have to do is start selling them, at and early age, on how yotes kill and eat cute little baby animals. This is something I learned from my dad's mistake. When my sister and I were little kids we got to tag along with my dad. I'm 3 yrs younger than my sister but anything that had to do with guns and killing stuff was "cool" with me but I remember my sister crying her little eyes out the first time she saw our dad bust a yote. In her mind our dad had just shot someones cute little dog. I remembered that and even before my daughter started going with me I was selling her on the idea coyotes were these terrible evil creatures that ate cute little helpless animals. Now she is all about killing every one we see and when I miss or I can't take the shot she lectures me on how all these little baby animals are probably going to die because I let one go. Nothing like getting a lecture/guilt trip from a 7yr old little girl. lol

What you have to do is start selling them, at and early age, on how yotes kill and eat cute little baby animals. This is something I learned from my dad's mistake. When my sister and I were little kids we got to tag along with my dad. I'm 3 yrs younger than my sister but anything that had to do with guns and killing stuff was "cool" with me but I remember my sister crying her little eyes out the first time she saw our dad bust a yote. In her mind our dad had just shot someones cute little dog. I remembered that and even before my daughter started going with me I was selling her on the idea coyotes were these terrible evil creatures that ate cute little helpless animals. Now she is all about killing every one we see and when I miss or I can't take the shot she lectures me on how all these little baby animals are probably going to die because I let one go. Nothing like getting a lecture/guilt trip from a 7yr old little girl. lol

LMAO!! Yeah I DO need to start giving her some understanding about what yotes do to anything that isn't fast enough to get away from them.....like cute little puppies :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts