LESSON LEARNED....and best group ever w/pic

5Redman8

Shooting my 280AI last week with my handloads, my groups went from consistant .3 to .8-.9. I started going through all the things that could be wrong(never once really thinking it was me!). Thought about cleaning procedures.....brass....bullets.....etc. I suspected heat as it has jumped up to 90-100deg here in TX.

Decided to drop my load .4gr and would retry today. Get out there today and it was calm, cloudy, and about 83deg. I thought perfect. My first 5 shot group was over an inch!!!!! Then the second group was just under an inch.....so you can see me there scratching my NEWBIE head wondering what was wrong with the gun....then I thought about cheek weild and shot again but the group was about the same.

Convinced myself it was the load (did I mention I am a newbie to precision shooting?).

So ****ed off and realizing I was not making progress, I grabbed the rifle for one more group but with the frustration and tension, I pulled the gun into my shoulder....snug not hard and fired two rounds that were in the same relative hole.....DING DING DING...the bells went off and I realized I had been very soft on the butt by trying to keep me out of the equation holding soft. Once again I snugged the butt and let her rip.....then repeated for five rounds total and here is the best group of my 100yd targets. It measures .258" center to center.
291008.jpg

So the lesson is/was SUSPECT myself before any other variable.

Later,
Kyle

Sounds like my day yesterday as well. Same **** problem too. But by then it was too late. Forgot the ole cleaning rod and was not gonna punish my new toy. OK...I feel better now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

You guys will realize that shooting a precision rifle also means you need to be precise as well.. same exact thing over and over again.... that's precision shooting. It all comes together once enough trigger time has been allocated....

I have helped many people get into the LR shooting sport.. the hardest thing for them to do is go through ALL aspects of the mental checklist before they squeeze the trigger.. after a whilte it will become second nature I promise....

I firmly believe that shooting... is 90% mental... all of us with custom sticks know that the stick is capable of itty bitty groups but like anything in life do we have the mental stamina to make it perform up to its potential...

Thanks for the replies.

It is tough for me to remember EVERYTHING!!!

Skip...nothing wrong with that group!! Looks good.

Now I have to stretch this things legs. Maybe next week.

Kyle

haha good stuff 5Redman8, yours are better, 350m is the farthest shot ive ever done with that rifle, the unlucky critter was a fox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Keep it up

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts