Lerch and Bill's new Toy!!

Re: Lerch and Bill\'s new Toy!!

[ QUOTE ]
Overall finished weight should be somewhere around 65lbs!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh! A mountain rifle huh? Perfect for goats and sheep!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't think your going to have any problems with accuracy, your going to have a shooter for sure. I have a 30-338 laupa imp and it is great. Its shoots way better than it should. The brass is excellent and takes pressure very well. I get quater moa groups with 150 hornadys at 3800 in a tensioned alumnium tube. Your gun will shoot the heavy bullet will help ultize the over bore cartidge. Lets face it if you want to get past 1500 yards you have to get someting very overbore. Don't fret things will work out. Just a side note if you do put a JLK or Berger 180 in that cannon I bet it will blow up 2 out of three bullets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. When you shoot a prarie dog past 2000 yards you won't worry what anybody says /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am sure a JLK or Bergr will never see the inside of this pipe for the reason you stated. For bbl breakin we may use a SMK or something a little cheaper than the big Wildcats.

We have a hydraulic forming die on order from Hornady, should be here next week. When we get it we will post a review on it. If it works it should defiantly be nice. The tech at Hornady told us that he thought it would do the job but he said we would have to beat the hell out of it to form that tough lapua brass!!!

Our end goal it the record at 2 miles, we would like 3700yds. We have found one shooting location that beats Slacks record but doesnt get us quite as far as we want. I was amazed to be able to set and watch pdogs running back and forth at 3200yds with a 25 power scope!!

Hitting one will be another story

thanks
steve

Let us know how the forming die works. I love improved cartidges but really hate wasting powder and bullets forming the brass. No matter how you form brass it is a pain and cost money. On a side note when I fire formed my 30-338 laupa 35 degree shoulder I had no problems at all. In fact it is much harder for me to make my 22 dasher from 6 br brass. I really hope the forming dies work out I would love to have one. Please post pics and description on how it works. Are they avalible for sale?And if so how much. Hope to see gun in action soon !!!!!!!!

You and me both wanna see this thing in action!!!

From what I understand of the forming dies you place the case inside the die which is filled with water, then you close the die and beat the hell out of it with a dead blow hammer!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif More detailed operating descriptions will come /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

From what I understand after you form the brass in the die you then run it through a full length sizer and then your 98% done. We will post a full evalution of it once we get her up and running. If it will work well then it will be awfully nice!!!

they will be available for sale, hornady just started making them. more info will follow soon

take it easy
steve

Hi Lerch & Bill,
I am jealous as hell of your new toy. Here in Australia we can only dream of a rifle like that. We have a 500 m target shoot called a fly shoot so I would be very interested in how it shots at 500m.
Good luck with it.
Regards
hjl

Lerch and Bill, if you guys are wanting to shoot out to 3700 yards, why did you not go with a 338 Lupa Improved with a 300 grn Bullet traveling at 3000 fps. I am still learning about the BC thing, I am just wondering, will this be a better set up then a 338 Lupa Magnum Improved. What are the differences, I would like to know what you guys think. I can't wait to see the video when you guys shoot her. Lerch, I am like you, I love the look of a completed wildcat cartridge with a long bullet. There is something about shooting your rifle and knowing that you put togather the cartridge yourself.

We choose the 7mm for the advatages in bc. the 200 ULD has a bc of around .9 which i higher than any other bullet, beside 50 cal, i have found. The 250gr ULD will have a even higher BC, possibly rivaling the 50cal bullets!!

What this does is drastically cut down on the wind effect over long distances. It also increases the amount of retained energy, what this does is prolong the amount of time that the bullet stays supersonic. When a bullet transfers from supersonic to subsonic it may or may not loose its ability to stay accurate, it may even begin to tumble or even tear apart!!

I have not been able to find a lot of info on supersonic to subsonic bullet flight so we are swimming in fairly uncharted waters. GoodGrouper has some experince in this area, maybe he will chime in

The 338 300gr bullet is a definate hoss for long range work in a varity of cartridges but the big 7mm bullets will hopefully offer a advantage.

At the ranges we are wanting to shoot at velocity is not the most important factor, BC is. Shooting bullet this long will present some interesting difficulties but it is fun to play on the edge of the envelope so we welcome the challanges.

What the 338 style bullets would offer better is a more pronounced impact at long range. thankfully OKlahoma has been dry as the middle east for a few years now and where we hunt pdogs it is all red clay dirt so impact is usually pretty easy to spot.

If worse comes to worse we have a hell of a action, stock, gunsmith, and bullet maker who will work with use to find a better combo to accomplish our task

take it easy
steve

Thanks for the info Lerch. I did not even know a 250grn bullet was offered in 7mm, I thought they only went up to around 180. Learning something everyday, once again, I can't wait to see and hear how she shoots. Keep us posted. I am having something built similar to what you guys are having built, however, it will be a 338 Lupa Magnaum Improved and that's why I was curious to see what the differences were with 7mm AM. I will post the specs and the info soon, I should be receiving her soon.

Thanks
Wildcat

Well I am sure you will be very happy with your gun. Do a search for 200gr WildCat bullets, you will find a TON of info.

Wildcat bullets are made by Richard Graves of Alberta, Canada. he is a hell of guy, he will work with you for whatever you want and is a literal gold mine of info.

What really made me understand BC was thinking about a a arrow in flight, its long, doesnt move really fast, but doesnt slow down all that much and retains a hell of a lot of thump if you consider all the factors.

good luck
steve

Hey GG,

I know you aint been on much in a while but I would love to hear your thoughts on this gun. Stop spy glassin those chucks for a while and tell me what you think of our up coming rig!!!

PS: Looks to me like that chuck in your first pic was slippin a middle finger up at ya, man I wouldnt let that go!!! Nice pics

steve

If you scaled the estimated BC on the 180 bergers form factor, that would be a .969 bc, and on the 180 JLK, you'd have a 1.027. Either way prety high. Those who have tried bullets that long for caliber before have had problems keeping them together. With the twists and RPM involved, ill bet that will be your problem. As others have said, its easier to recut the throat than set back the barrel... Should prove to be an interesting rig regaurdless... and the way the wind has been blowing around here lately, youre going to need all the luck and BC you can get!

Hey Abinok

Glad to see you joined in, if anyone knows our particular condtions on here it would be you!!

i have worried about the problems of a bullet this long, not only bearing surface but overall length more than anything. With a bullet this long the front end will start to spin while the very distant rear will be stationary, will we have a wet towel effect???

We will have to see what happens, given what I have seen so far we will probably have the thing throated to seat the 200gr ULD for a worst case scenario since it is already field proven. If the 250 will work or even a 225 then I think we will have something very special.

When is the next time you guys are coming by the shop??

have a good one
steve

Yep, I think twist will be a major issue... what velocities and twist are you talking about with this setup. Im not sure how well the previous instances will apply to these... but you might figure the RPM these things will see. Without getting into specifics, bullets this long for caliber have problems damping yaw they achieve in the process of launch... while staying in one piece. The ones I saw spun appart at about 40 ft. Puff of water vapor and they were gone. If this were my project, Id think about a ICC to test bullets on, and some anal requirements for the numbers you want to see on the runout gauge before chambering a round.

ill probably be out there either tues or wed of next week for some powder (H1000), but it will just be me, and maybe my girlfriend... Im usually out there once a month, but either you guys aren't up front, or im in a big hurry.
Oh, just found out you and I know a guy in common... we worked at the same range in OKC, and he is a family friend to you guys... you two share the same name /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif "its a small world after all"

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.