Leica's New Geovid HD-B

I have not had the chance to look through these yet. How is the glass? It sounds like the range finder portion is working good.

I have not had the chance to look through these yet. How is the glass? It sounds like the range finder portion is working good.

So far from what I have seen the glass is good. I had a pair of Swarovski 10 X42 El's. The HD-B's are for sure clearer and brighter at low light. A buddy just bought the new 10 X 42 Swarovision binos. I have not had a chance to compare yet.

As far as ranging these are super quick and range to 1000 with ease. The only animal I have ranged is a bull elk at 400 walking into to 30 before running into my arrow.

They seem like the real deal. Looking at getting a new rangefinder. Tore between the g7 and hd-b's. I like the fact of only having to carry one unit. Am I reading this correct that if I were to range something at say 800 yards and my actual drop is 14.4 moa the Leica binos will tell me to dial 14 moa. It won't show u 1/4 moa?

They seem like the real deal. Looking at getting a new rangefinder. Tore between the g7 and hd-b's. I like the fact of only having to carry one unit. Am I reading this correct that if I were to range something at say 800 yards and my actual drop is 14.4 moa the Leica binos will tell me to dial 14 moa. It won't show u 1/4 moa?

Based on what I have seen if the setting is on 1 moa clicks it will say 14 clicks (When I tried them out I left them on the 1 moa setting), but if you were to put it on 1/4 moa it would say 58 clicks (Based on what I have read in the instruction manual and online). So it would have to round to 14.5 moa. Hopefully someone that got their geovids already can confirm and expand on this more. Still waiting on mine to arrive so limited on what I know at this point. Hopefully they will ship some more very soon since my current rangefinder is on the demise.

from what I understand and have heard when its in MOA mode its rounding the numbers, which IMO sucks. so it appears the best way to get an accurate measurement is by using click mode which is going to be harder to figure out quickly. real fast whats 71 clicks =?? sometimes I really wonder who leica used to test these. for me it looks like they didn't get them into the hands of actual users. no angle compensation below 100 yards, which is dumb because bow hunters could use that. also 1000 yards is as far as the ballistic features will work for. Someone from leica claimed some issue with legalities in exporting an RF unit with ranging features beyond 860 yards or something to that effect. ummm to that I say I don't care, figure out a way around the law which they did somewhat by having the G7 program go to 1000 yards.

The big miss for leica is these units just aren't available right now, I want to buy some right now but the only places I have seen them are big box stores, which I am not paying 3 grand plus another $200 in sales tax. Even the big box stores don't have them right now, everyone is buying hunting gear right now. and they don't have the product to sell. There have also been complaints about the lense covers.

I have had them for about a month and have taken them on 5 afternoon hunts and 6 morning hunts. My HD-Bs are 10X42 versions. I also have a pair of 10X42 Swarovski Swarovison EL. I was able to switch between them at dawn and dusk while hunting whitetails at distances from 100 to 200 yards. The optics, especially in low light, are no where near the Swarovski. Noticeably darker image than the Swarovski.

I am thinking about getting rid of them. I would rather use the Swarovskis along with a rangefinder than the darker leicas.

As for the range finding feature, it worked very intuitively and was easy to use out to 700 yards on whitetail (the furtherest I tested it). Live in Texas and don't have any elevation to test that aspect of the binoculars.

My two cents.

Paul

Some questions for someone that owns a pair or has used them:

Is the readout in one lens or in two? The Swaro's have the target in the right lens and the readout of the distance in the left eye. The rangefinding Leica's have both the target squre and the readout in the right eye but have not seen the HD-B's.

Does the readout show measured yards and corrected range at the same time or do you have to "click" to another readout to get different readings?

I am also trying to figure out how you would use this if you are using a turret calibrated for your rifle, not sure I understand. If it gives you MOA to your shot, not corrected yardage?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Some questions for someone that owns a pair or has used them:

Is the readout in one lens or in two? The Swaro's have the target in the right lens and the readout of the distance in the left eye. The rangefinding Leica's have both the target squre and the readout in the right eye but have not seen the HD-B's.

Does the readout show measured yards and corrected range at the same time or do you have to "click" to another readout to get different readings?

I am also trying to figure out how you would use this if you are using a turret calibrated for your rifle, not sure I understand. If it gives you MOA to your shot, not corrected yardage?

Thanks!

Everything is in the right hand barrel as usual. One click gets the reticle, and a second gets you the line of sight distance, which is followed (automatically) by whatever type of ballistic correction has been specified.

Thanks Doug! I was able to find the HD-B owners manual on line and download it and read it. I now understand how it works much better. I now see how it can work with custom turrets, once you have your data entered it will give you the corrected yardage and you would dial that yardage in.

The other thing I did was go to the Leica/G7 Ballistic Calculator to see how you input your data one thing that I don't understand is that you only can input bullet weight, muzzle velocity, Bullet BC and zero range. For altitude and temperature, it is measured by the Geovid's. That's great for once it is calibrated but you first need a base line.

It appears to me that the only way to get that base line will be to input the data on a day where your range temperature matches what your turret is calibrated for? After that I can see how it would correct for it.

Any input from anyone on the initial setup?

Thanks Doug! I was able to find the HD-B owners manual on line and download it and read it. I now understand how it works much better. I now see how it can work with custom turrets, once you have your data entered it will give you the corrected yardage and you would dial that yardage in.

The other thing I did was go to the Leica/G7 Ballistic Calculator to see how you input your data one thing that I don't understand is that you only can input bullet weight, muzzle velocity, Bullet BC and zero range. For altitude and temperature, it is measured by the Geovid's. That's great for once it is calibrated but you first need a base line.

It appears to me that the only way to get that base line will be to input the data on a day where your range temperature matches what your turret is calibrated for? After that I can see how it would correct for it.

Any input from anyone on the initial setup?

the baseline would be your 100 or 200 yard zero, conditions will not change enough to alter these enough to worry about. just like when you go to JBM or any other ballistic calculator you enter in altitude and temp. instead of entering these values with the leicas it adjusts it to current conditions.

I am pretty surprised leica has been so slow getting these units on store shelves also in field use by people who really know what these units aught to do is totally lacking. I have heard no review by anyone who is a true long range shooter. I want to buy some but haven't been able to as there are just not enough of them out yet. I wonder if leica is having issues with production??

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts