Leica spotting scope?

It means apochromatic refractor in the lens. I have a older Televid 10-60x without it, have thought about buying a new lens, but am not sure it would be of benefit. I have trouble seeing bullet holes at 500 meters in any conditions. Maybe someone else can explain the benefit of the APO lens.

Gene is correct. The APO is short for apochromatic lens. The APO models have a different lense system than the non APO models. The Apochromatic lenses are made with flouride glass for improved image performance over the non APO models. On the newer models, there is an optically neutral front lense to protect the sensitive APO lense.

So what does this mean to the end user. The APO will cost more, and give better optical clarity, resolution....

I have both the APO and non APO models, and I can honestly say that my eyes cannot tell the difference between the two.

If it makes you feel better, spend the extra jing and get the APO..

Good explanation Joel. My straight Leica Televid is about 12 yrs old, and has been thru several owners. A buddy who shoots with me at Shippensburg bought a new angled lens Leica two years ago with APO. We compared them side by side, and he agrees, my old model without APO seems very slightly better than his new model when viewing bullet holes at 500 meters. I also have a Zeiss 10-60x 80mm, and the Leica is just about the same.

How do you like these spotting scope for looking into shadow at 500 yards in the early morning or evening to spot game?

Last edited:
I wouldn't look through anything else!

I have two Leica scopes together in a bracket that I use as a set of big eyes for glassing at ranges out to 2,000 yards and more. 500 yards would be no problem for for you.

My personal opinion is that the Leica glass is the best out there.

That's one thing I hate about some spotting scope is when you zoom in things get darker.And looking in to shadow's at sun rise or sun set you can't tell if it's a buck or a doe at 500 yards.Or try to count antler points at max power at that range.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.