Leica Geovid 10x42 HD "Rangefinding Binoculars"

Greg Duerr

I feel like im beating a dead horse here and trebark would agree with me, sorry Trebark. However I saw that Leica has a 10x42 HD Binoculars that also has a range finder built it. I realize that for me going from a Leica 1600 RF,@ $799 to a pair of RF Binoes for $2300 is a bit exstream. But after this weekend and buying my wife a new Kitchen Table that she fell in love with for $2600 It now seems cheap. I told here that since she gets a new table and Frig and matching bar stools all for $ 4200, The binoculars that I only dreamed of could possibly become a reality................This month I have three payperiods instead of two so that means I could use the $1600 as if it never came out of the Budget................Now if I can only get Jackie to see the same kind of logic........ Besides the other table she wanted was $1,500 ..............Makes sence to me.

So is the RF that is built in to these Bino's everything you would expect from Leica?? Meaning I would be purchasing the top of the line Binoculars and a super RF at the same time..........................

Greg

They won't range anywhere as far a the unfortunately mono Swaro 8x30 will.
I have both and have only used the Leica for one trip. they sit in th cupboard.
I can see rabbits at 1000 yds in good light with the Swaro. Swaro are working on a bino rangefinder as well but have not got them up to their standard as yet.
Also the rangefinder function degrades the pure bino quality compared to similar binos they are not as bright or clear.
Hope that saves you some $

I would go to your local optics dealer and look through all the high end bino's they have. Once you start getting over a $1000 bucks it becomes more of a name game and a status symbol. A stand alone range finder will no doubt range further. However, ask your self do you really need to range over 1000 yards. When I hold the range finder up and it comes back blank with a reading I know I am still to far out and I better close the gap with two feet and a heart beat. I do not use range finding bino's but many of my partners do. It is easier to get on target because of the larger FOV. It's less hassle and less gear to carry which makes you more likely to use it. Again this is MY opinion based on my experiences with my Leica range finder vs. my partners Geovids. If it were my coin I would go compare high end bino's and go from there.

Hey Aussie, would you like to sell your Geovids since you are no longer using them?

Jon

Direct comparison last year - the Leica refused to range a crow on the ground at which the Swaro subsequently told me was 286yds.
This was bright middle of day on a gibber [stony] plain with little to reflect and high ambient light.
However i was amazed at their lack of ability - pulled the swaro out and got an immediate reading.
I have kept the Leica for my wife to use with her 17HMR - close range stuff.
Good advice to compare but do it late in the afternoon to be able to see the benefits of good quality glass.
I looked through many binos one evening in Aukland NZ across a city block into store windows.
That was the best comparo I ever managed and the pure Leica Binos shone.
I ended up buying a compact pair of 10x25 leica.
I have just purchased a pair of Swaro 10x50 EL which are leading edge I believe now.
Sorry to get off track but these have a very flat image with large field of view because of larger than normal occular lens. I used a demo pair in darkness one evening which impressed me enough to replace my 10x42 SLC.

Aussie, Maybe you got a bad piece of equipt with your Leica. That does happen.
Based on your report I think I'd send them back for an inspection.
My personal experience using borrowed 10X42 BRF has been great. I have had a 1200 compact LRF since they came out and have been holding out on buying the BRF hoping that they will put the added features of the 1600 into the bino set.

Danman,

you took the words right out of my mouth. I have a CRF 900 that is true to it's range and a buddy has the 1200 along with handling 4 pairs of Geovids from older models to the new HD's and all ranged just fine.

Aussie... Send them back! Lecia has great CS.

Jon

Aussie...I agree with prior posts. Have your Geovids checked out. My buddy and I have been using Geovids, mine 8x, his 10x, for over three years. No problem ranging deer out to a thousand yards or more and excellent optical quality. We both sold our Swaros.

OK Guys
Thanks for your advice and i will send them in for a check by Leica.

I see yesterday on 6BR that Swaro have announced the release of their bino rangefinder at last!

Aussie...I agree with prior posts. Have your Geovids checked out. My buddy and I have been using Geovids, mine 8x, his 10x, for over three years. No problem ranging deer out to a thousand yards or more and excellent optical quality. We both sold our Swaros.

Greyfox.............

So the Geovids have the same optical clarity as the non ranging Binoculars.........you dont give up anything when you add the RF to your Bino's? I was looking for a good RF and Binoculars and did not know that you could get both together..................The best of both worlds.

Greg

No - you do lose some optical quality compared to exactly the same binos from the same manufacturer.
I believe Leica themselves admit to this because of the fact they have to fit the receivibg unit within one of the lens barrels.
Just compare the mono Swaro 8x30 RF - they almost look like binos with the RF receiver beside teh 8x30 ocular lens barrel.
The new Swaro bino RF have extra "pregnant" swells on the lower barrels to house the electronics but teh one lens will also have to receive the bounce back laser.
We compared the Leica bino RF 10x42 to standard Swaro 10x42 SLC [the lower range cf to EL] at last light with the Swaro being slightly better in clarity and brightness.
APB

I have been using 10x42 geovids for about the last 5 years or so. once you use them you will never ever go back to anything else. the people that say they are not that great typically don't own them, my geovids fell off a fire place mantel and bent the focus wheel, they had to go back to leica, they are so necessary for my style of hunting. I ordered another pair, and plan to sell the old ones once they get back. to me they are that necessary. and I am not a rich guy mind you.

the rangefinder is pretty darn powerful on them, in most conditions I can range a coyote out to about 900 yards, sometimes more sometimes less depending on conditions. this is with the non HD geovids. the HD model which I just got to replace my broken unit is supposed to have a slightly better rangefinder, it says 1400 on it instead of 1300. I can range larger animals out to even further than 900 yards. a deer at 1000 should be no problemo. my hunting partner runs the same geovids and his results are the same as mine. they do sometimes struggle a bit picking up a range on animals in bright sun with snow. (beyond 500 yards) but if you use the scan feature and keep trying you can normally pick up the range eventually. I do wish the rangefinder was more powerful, but thats just me and I have alot of opportunities at coyotes at 1000 yards and more. for your average guy, the ranging abilities of the geovids is everything a guy can use and then some. I don't think my units have ever failed to range something that is less than 500 yards away under any conditions.

the best is not having to switch units, you already are looking at the animal and the range is a press of the finger away. the value in this should be obvious. no trying to reaquire the target in a seperate rangefinder, which isn't as easy to look through as a binocular. are they as good as the top end glass like the EL or zeiss fl t, the glass is not as good, but its very close. and having that powerful rangefinder under you finger MORE than makes up for a little glass handicap. when I get my old units back I am going to see how much better these new HD's are particularly in low light. the 10x42 units seem to fade in low light, probably alot the nature of their exit pupal, the 8's are probably a lot better in low light. but this weekend I had to go back to an 8x binocular, because my gevoids were sent back, and I HATED glassing with the 8x units. I felt like a fish out of water without my geovids.

zeiss also makes a good RF unit, however they are a bit bulkier, supposed to have a bit better RF unit, but for me the 10x models are just a tad short on eyerelief. Swaro is really missing out. I can't believe they have no response to leica or zeiss units, after using one you will never ever go back to seperate units, at least if you are a western hunting and need to range just about everything you shoot at.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my 10x42 geovid. I just used it for a few weeks of intense GH hunting, and now I couldn't imagine not having it.
For years I had been using a 1200LRF, which was good, but the ranging binocular was what I really needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.