Leica crf 1600 here! (short review)

i just use the unit in metric mode and therefore get the pressure in millibars. Most if not all ballistic computer / software will let you specify the pressure in millibars and range in meters instead of yards...same story, no conversions required...

After you make that super long range kill, you always convert back to yards afterwards so it sounds further! :D

I just sent it in a couple of days ago. They will either repair or replace according to what they told me. I wanted to wait until hunting season was over before I sent it in....Rich

What was worng with it?

I am not liking the function button on mine. I shoot a range and if I press the function button too hard it says "off" and shuts down. But if I lightly press it it gives me the good info. Seems like a bad idea to make the button you use to quickly get info before a shot to also turn the unit off if it is pressed too hard.

I should probably read the instructions....

What was worng with it?

I am not liking the function button on mine. I shoot a range and if I press the function button too hard it says "off" and shuts down. But if I lightly press it it gives me the good info. Seems like a bad idea to make the button you use to quickly get info before a shot to also turn the unit off if it is pressed too hard.

I should probably read the instructions....

Mine would only record shorter ranges unless I held the ranging button down. Usually no more than 600 yards. With the button held down,it would range out to 1600-1700 yards depending on the target......Rich

Got one for grandson it dose not like cold. It would not work at all at -5. My Swarovski would. He got a 4x4 at 553 yds that day using my Swarovski. I yous my Swarovski to glass with i found out after a to hour time it would not work either to cold. I am not real empressed with the Leica it doesnot do will in snow eather. Swarovski worked better.

Mine has been ranging fine and in fact it seems to be faster than my CRF 1200. I have been pretty impressed with its beam divergence and range. Vegetation is consistantly ranged ~1750 yards in bright daylight. The inclinometer seems to be on as I compared it to a laser level over a 800 yard range. Temp and baro readings are consistant with my kestrel.

When I get some below zero mornings I will have to try it out and see at what temperature it fails.
I think it may be a battery thing, and if you have a weak battery you may be more susceptable to low temps. So I may also freeze some batteries and see what happens to output.

I am interested in a comparison between a Leica CRF 1000 and the 1600. Prices, features? Is a 1000 a 1600 without the integrated ballistics computer?

I think you mean the CRF 1200 and CRF 1600?

The 1200 and 1600 look almost identical, however they are not the same.

The max range I could get consistantly with my 1200 was in the 1300 yard range with a fresh battery, the 1600 is ~1700 yards. So I think the 1600 is using a better diode, or they have boosted the current with a better driver.

The price difference is a couple hundred bucks, google it for the latest.

If you do not plan on shooting past 1200 yards, I would stick with the CRF 1200. It is much simpler to use and is just a bare bones RF with out all the gimmicks, I really like it. It never let me down.

The CRF 1600 works well, but the ballistics that it claims to provide are worthless because they are only an estimate out to 500 yards. Why they even put it in I don't know; anyone needing a 1600 yard RF is not going to care what the holdover is up to 500 yards. For most of us that is point blank range. The atmospheric and incline info it provides is very useful and accurate and means I can leave my kestrel at home.

The only regret I have from selling my CRF 1200 and getting the CRF 1600 is that I sold my 1200 for way too cheap.

Last edited:
Geeze!!

They have (or will have) a CRF 800, CRF 900, CRF 1000, CRF 1200, and the CRF 1600.

Wish they would do at least one of them right. Great rangefinder but the ballistics program (as has been pointed out many times before) is pretty much useless.

Leica is going to get some stiff competition from the new G7. Even though it's expensive as hell, at least it does pretty much everything long distance shooters need in one package.

Let the games begin.

Geeze!!

They have (or will have) a CRF 800, CRF 900, CRF 1000, CRF 1200, and the CRF 1600.

Wish they would do at least one of them right. Great rangefinder but the ballistics program (as has been pointed out many times before) is pretty much useless.

Leica is going to get some stiff competition from the new G7. Even though it's expensive as hell, at least it does pretty much everything long distance shooters need in one package.

Let the games begin.

Just a matter of when the G7 comes out, I've been keeping an eye on that one myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts