Leica 1600-B afected by magnet?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Good, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Good

Good Well-Known Member

I was thinking of tethering my 1600-b to my pack in the shoulder area but don't want it to flop around. So, I was wondering if you all knew if it would adversely affect the performance of the rangefinder if I were to glue a magnet to the side of it. Anyone know?

2. LaHunter

LaHunter Well-Known Member

I am not sure if the magnet would have any impact on their function or not. That would be a question you would probably want to ask Leica. I have the Leica 1600 range finder and I have the nylon case connected to my FHF bino harness. It is very handy for quick access and works great for me. Just me, but I would not glue anything to my Leica glass.

3. Good

Good Well-Known Member

Thanks!

4. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

What will adversely is effect the Leica rangefinder is when you brush it across a tree limb and it lands on a rock. The magnetic field won't bother it or be very secure.

Some shooting instruments are affected by magnetic fields. A Kestrel 4500 is an example.

I keep valuable instruments in vest or jacket pockets.

5. machiavelli

machiavelli Well-Known Member

Try using Velcro!

6. Good

Good Well-Known Member

Don't want the noise associated with Velcro. See, the magnet on he pack strap will be behind material deadening the sound. The magnet will just perform a stability function. The tether is what holds it to the pack.

Hmmm, do they make silent Velcro?

7. squeeeeze

squeeeeze Well-Known Member

Check out the Range Snap. It has a clip to attach to bino harness or backpack strap, plus it comes with a secure strap that keeps it from flopping and you won't have to worry about the magnet affecting the RF.

8. 7magcreedmoor

7magcreedmoor Well-Known Member

I put a paracord neck lanyard on my 1600, with a slider scavenged from an old jacket hood string as shown in the attached pic. When not in use, I snug it up so the gadget is high up around my clavicles. It doesn't bounce, swing, bang into things, or even feel like it is even there, until needed. Then I just pull it down with one hand and start lasing away. Snugged up, I can shoot prone without interference, and with the lanyard run out all the way, I can rest it on the rifle to steady it up for those long shots.

Attached Files: