legnthing savage bolt throw

foreign

i want to extend the bolt through on my stevens .223 so when i extend the mag box the bolt will come back far enough to pick up the rounds.
is this simple a matter of removing a little material from the rear of that piece thats behind the bolt head ( not sure of its name) and removing a little material from the piece that stops the bolt falling out of the action.
cheers
ps. whats the easiest way of getting the mag box out to remove the space that is in it.

i want to extend the bolt through on my stevens .223 so when i extend the mag box the bolt will come back far enough to pick up the rounds.
is this simple a matter of removing a little material from the rear of that piece thats behind the bolt head ( not sure of its name) and removing a little material from the piece that stops the bolt falling out of the action.
cheers
ps. whats the easiest way of getting the mag box out to remove the space that is in it.

That is the front baffle. You should be able to remove a bit of material from the leg that sticks down along side the bolt body. Or, you could replace it with a regular baffle.

Getting the box out can be tricky.

One way is to put a c-clamp on the ends and slowly tighten it until one of the tabs are clear.

Another, is to use a spare recoil lug and the front action screw. Install the front action screw. Wedge the recoil lug in between the screw and the box. Push down on the loop of the lug. That should be just enough to pop the front tab out of the slot.

To get the box out - remove the trigger, stand the action up on the tang (assuming you're holding it by the barrel), and smack the front of the mag box w/ a small/medium deadblow or other soft-faced hammer. Should compress the spring steel of the box and pop it right out (have to hit it at a slight angle to keep it from compressing and then expanding right back into place). Sounds harder/scarier than it actually is.

If your mag box spacer is like mine (riveted in place) you may be better off just ordering a new mag box to begin with. From what I was told there is a separate model for the .204 Ruger guns, which is just a smidge longer OAL than regular .223, so that might be one option (may need to order the correct length follower as well). Otherwise just order a .308 box & follower and modify to suit.

thanks guys. taking a hammer to the mag box sound like an interesting idea. may try the clamp method first to see if i can do it with out removing the trigger.
is there any limit to the amount of material tha i can take of the front baffel. eg can i shorten it so much that the bolt will come back all the way to the back of the action port for the mag. that way i can just get rid of the riveted in spacer and seat those long .223 bullets as far out as i want to. cheers

Oh, you probably could... I wouldn't bet a whole lot of money that its going to feed right, though. It will most likely be a trial-n-error affair.

Good luck,

Monte

The Mag Box is heat treated CM

Monte is right.

If you use a clamp you will crack, distort, bend, or crush the mag box.

Since it is heat treated it acts like a spring.

Properly hitting it with a hammer and large single bladed screwdriver is much more successful and less destructive.

Nat Lambeth

well i tryed the clamp method and as rustystud just pointed out it did start to crush the mag box. to i took a hammer to it. far easier, poped out easily. removed that spacer and bingo. then shortened the front baffel around 8mm and were good to go. i have around 4mm of space infront of the long 80gr bullets i have loaded to touch the rifleing. and thats with the little wood spacer i put in the back of the mag box. mag box will take around 2.8 inch loaded length round. perfect. thanks for the help
ps. functions perfectly out of mag
cheers:D

Nat,

Good point about the flat blade screwdriver, size large :D

I'd forgotten about that, as the way I learned originally wasn't quite that refined. I had figured it out along the way for putting the box back in place - sure makes it easier to focus the force where it needs to be. Might not need to remove the trigger assy. with the screwdriver - but me being kind of ham-fisted with such things, I tend to take the extra precautionary steps anyways.

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.