Left Handed Rum/Edge

Blueman

Hello,

I'm hoping a knowledgeable gunsmith can answer a question for me. I have a stainless steel Remington 700 left handed action with a magnum bolt face (part number 85324). I'm wondering if that is compatible/capable of being made into a 300 RUM or a 338 Edge. I understand its not a custom action and a lot of people will recommend using a aftermarket clone/custom. I don't wan to hear it. I want to know what modification need to be made to accommodate the RUM case with a 4" wyatts extended box (if possible)? Also what is the difference between Remington Ultra Magnum Action, and standard magnum action?

Thanks,

The difference in the Rem. Ultra-mag action and the std mag action is in the feed rails. The Ulra-Mag is fatter. A Wyatts mag box can be installed, requires machining at the rear of the mag well. Any competent gunsmith can do this, "bubba" gunsmith can screw it up. A mag box change is needed as well as feed rail work to make the action you have work.

The difference in the Rem. Ultra-mag action and the std mag action is in the feed rails. The Ulra-Mag is fatter. A Wyatts mag box can be installed, requires machining at the rear of the mag well. Any competent gunsmith can do this, "bubba" gunsmith can screw it up. A mag box change is needed as well as feed rail work to make the action you have work.

When you say feed rail work, do you mean the feed rails need some material removed? I'm assuming with a mill?

The feed rails might need to be opened up some if the action wasn't originally the Ultra Mag case.

I have a 300 RUM on the Rem 700 action. Built by Jon Beanland. It too was a LH stainless action that started life as a LH LSS from the factory as a 300 RUM. It was simply customized and rebarreled with a Krieger. Jon Beanland trued the action, installed a bolt release, and had the bolt reworked for a mini M16 extractor.

The feed rails might need to be opened up some if the action wasn't originally the Ultra Mag case.

I have a 300 RUM on the Rem 700 action. Built by Jon Beanland. It too was a LH stainless action that started life as a LH LSS from the factory as a 300 RUM. It was simply customized and rebarreled with a Krieger. Jon Beanland trued the action, installed a bolt release, and had the bolt reworked for a mini M16 extractor.

Out of curiosity, how much did it cost you to have that work done?

I was looking at my notes just two days ago to see if I'd actually logged actual cost... I did not.

If you want an updated cost, best to contact Jon Beanland himself.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.