Left Handed Options

Frankie_2_Times

I've been searching for a new rifle to take to AK on a hunt. Being left handed my options are limited. I had decided to look for a left handed remmington in stainless steel. The only way to meet this requirement is to order through Remmington's custom shop. For what the Remmington Custom shop wants to basically asembly production parts I could get a true custom rifle. But with the lead time, it'll never be ready in time for my hunt. Someday I'll have a true custom build up, but for now the search for an off the shelf rifle continues.

I've looked at the weatherby Accumark. Anyone have any experience with these rifles. I understand that Weatherby no longer makes the left had version. Are these now made by someone else for Weatherby? The barrels are fluted stainless. The recieve is black. Any idea if the action is stainless? I'm concerned about corrosion and the weather.

Frankie,

Rifle manufacturers seem to think left-handers only want blue and wood.
...not answering your question, but I have noticed that Savage do stainless 'weather warrior' left-handers.

I thought of purchasing this rifle, but I really need a composite stock. I suppose I could buy a comp stock. Is swapping the factory stock with a new composite simply a matter of removing ("unscrewing") it from one and placing it on the other or is there more to it than that? For for the newbie questions and terminology. What stock would you recommend. I've heard good things about the Mcmillan stock.

Frankie,

The rifle the Brown Dog mentioned (The Savage Weather Warrior) should certainly be put on your list of considerations. It is chambered in a wide assortment of calibers, both short and long action. You will be impressed with the weight and appearance of these rifles, too. Stainless everything, black dual pillar bedded composite stock. I doubt the Remington Custom shop could match a Savage's out-of-the-box accuracy, either.

I would bet that ol' Bill Bailey could hook you up with one with no problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just added to my left-handed Savage collection by two and he made me an awesome deal!

You would still need to do a skim bed on the action and recoil lug. It is a very simple task

d-a

Oh the quit making the 700 lss in left hand last year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You can still find the left hand Rem LSS as stated by the others. It is no longer in production, but they are out there. Savage is hard to beat for accuracy in my book.
Another option is the Browning Stainless Stalker. It is offered in lots of calibers in left hand up to the 375 H&H. Accuracy is excellent, but the Browning synthetic stock shows wear easily.
I own 2 of the lefty LSS's and one lefty stainless stalker. One Savage Tactical that shoots better than I do, but it is definitely not a carry gun.
Check www.gunbroker.com also. I have found several leftys there. Good luck!

I currently have a Browning SS in 3006. I like the rifle, but was looking for something in a larger caliber. I could buy another Browning but I wanted something I could customize later into a long range shooter. The remington is the action that I think I am going with. I haven't been able to locate a Rem 700 LSS in 300 Win. I would want to replace the stock with a composite. I spoke with Kirby and eventually want him to build up a custom but the lead time doesn't mesh with my hunting trip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You probably would have a hard time finding an LSS in 300WM. I don't think they produced a lot of them in that caliber. I have one, but haven't seen any others. The only thing I don't like is the 24" barrel. I wish it was 26".

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.