Left Handed Long Range Setup

Blueman

Hello, I'm new to the forum so bear with me and all my newbie questions. I've always wanted to get into long range shooting and now that I recently moved to colorado I can't think of a better time. I want to get a new rifle setup for long range hunting. I have already decided to go with a 7mm rem mag (don't try to persuade me another way). Being a left its difficult to options. I want something I can shoot out to 1000 yds with and be able to consistently kill deer and elk in the 600-700 yard range (eventually maybe further). I'm looking at maybe a browning x-bolt, remington 700, or savage. I want a gun that as time passes and funds become available i can upgrade. I really like the x-bolt action, but I really like the accu-trigger of the savage, and it seems to me the remington is the easiest to find aftermarket upgrade parts for. I guess I'm looking for guidance on which direction I should go. I want to make a good decisions so down the road I don't have ti buy another gun because i was cheap the first time. Thanks for the help in advance.

Hello, I'm new to the forum so bear with me and all my newbie questions. I've always wanted to get into long range shooting and now that I recently moved to colorado I can't think of a better time. I want to get a new rifle setup for long range hunting. I have already decided to go with a 7mm rem mag (don't try to persuade me another way). Being a left its difficult to options. I want something I can shoot out to 1000 yds with and be able to consistently kill deer and elk in the 600-700 yard range (eventually maybe further). I'm looking at maybe a browning x-bolt, remington 700, or savage. I want a gun that as time passes and funds become available i can upgrade. I really like the x-bolt action, but I really like the accu-trigger of the savage, and it seems to me the remington is the easiest to find aftermarket upgrade parts for. I guess I'm looking for guidance on which direction I should go. I want to make a good decisions so down the road I don't have ti buy another gun because i was cheap the first time. Thanks for the help in advance.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! I don't think you can go wrong with list of choices as well as the chambering.

You will however find out there are plenty of loyal die hards on every name brands of rifles out there.

From your list, Remington leads the after market support with the Savage not far off. JMHHO, Savage is probably the most DIY friendly. There's a poll of about rifle's accuracy right out of the box that might be worth your time.

There are plenty of leftists here, just be patient and they'll chime in. Also, the custom search on the top right corner is very useful tool. lightbulb

Again, welcome!

Ed

As a left hand shooter, i always look for rem 700 rifles. I know all the other makes are great rifles, but i like to work on stuff. I like the option to change things. I like that most custom gunsmiths specialize on the 700. With a little try and patience, i've built up stocks, pillar bedded, glassed bedded, changed springs and firing pins, adjusted triggers, etc... The 700 used rifle is usually available somewhere. Not all of them will shoot well, but most can be fixed. Most rifles never see 500 rounds fired before someone decides to sell it, so i figure i can clean and tweek good accuracy from the barrel. If not, i can get gunsmiths like darrel holland to rebarrel and true the action. If a guy cant find a 700, and needs a good shooter now, a savage shhots nice, and doesnt cost a bunch. Then keep looking for a 700 used to play with. Jeff.

The gunsmith removes the barrel, and machines the front face of the action true and square to the threads. He will also machine the bolt face true and square to the action, and the barrel will be set back a few thousandths and squared. Bolt lugs get lapped for even lock up. All this results in a precision fit up of the three main rifle componants: Action/ barrel/ bolt. It should only be done once. This kind of work takes an experienced gunsmith-machinist, but is suprisingly cheap to have done. If you have a decent barrel to start with, this and a good crown can make a big difference in groups.
Jeff

Will the above mentioned factory rifles with a quality optic get me the accuracy I'm looking for at those ranges? I've also been kicking around the idea of starting with an action and adding a Mcmilan stock, match grade barrel etc. etc.

I have all three of the manufactures you have listed.

As mentioned, the Remington followed by the Savage has many more aftermarket options than the Browning.

Also, if you are looking for an "out of the box" accurate rifle then look hard at the Savage. It may not be to pretty to look at, but they are very accurate.

I have a 300 WSM in a LRH model that will shoot 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards when I do my part.

Thats hard to say. A good action job and good barrel fit up will improve the effective range. But alot goes into long range shooting. What barrel length and twist, and especially chamber, will shoot the kind of bullet that you would need to kill at long range. I hear alot about the berger vld bullet these days. They say those things are great out to 1000 yards, but will your barrel and chamber shoot it? Are your reloading methods up to the task? I believe a trued rem700 action, with a quality barrel, a great trigger, good stock bedding, and a good scope, will get you where you want to be. If you can find the rifle at a decent price, work that gun over with small tweeks that are affordable. Spend the money outright on the scope you want. Good investment. Then the stock you want. Get it properly bedded. Get a trigger job. Get as much of the other tweeks as you can afford. The svl barrel deresonator works wonders on factory barrels. Think about a tubb speedlock kit. Then concentrate on shooting alot. Trigger time is most important. Work your way out to where your comfortable.

I'm planning on reloading 168 Berger vld's. I want to put on a McMillan a5 or something similar, but will that work with a factory barrel?

Here is a project that i did. I bought a left hand rem700 bdl for 400 bucks used. It didnt shoot well. After about 5 years in the safe, i bought a hs precision stock, a leupold vx3 3.5x10 scope, dual dovetail rings, and did a trigger job. I tried several different loads and bullet weights. It shot worse than before. One night on the couch, i was snapping in the trigger and working the bolt. I noticed the barrel was vibrating very badly on the snap, so i bedded the action to the aluminum bedding block, and cut the groups down to an inch. Then i bought an svl barrel deresonator which is basically a rubber donut that slips on to the barrel. It shoots 3/4" groups now with a sierra 150gr sbt and a nosler 150 ballistic tip. I killed a buck with it at 400 yards shooting downhill at 8500' elevation. Shoots nice. But its not a 1000 yd gun. But im not a 1000 yard hunter. With a action job and a custom barrel, and better ammo, the rifle could be a longer range gun, but i like to get as close as i can. The horns end up bigger when i can see and judge them.

Bergers are load sensitive. They have a bullet called a length tolerent bullet, but i know no one who uses it. They arent cheap either. I have used berger vld match bullets at the 1000 yard line in my 308 match rifle, and they were worth the cost. But the load development was alot of work. I went back to sierra matchkings. Much easier. And still very effective at the long line. I think a guy needs to try several different bullets to see what works best. Again, trigger time is needed to shoot long range. I had darrel holland true and rebarrel a rem700 to 25-06. I put a mcmillan general pupose hunting stock on it, and had it bedded by a really good gunsmith friend, and it shoots scarry little ragged one hole groups. Think about this, if you are spending the money it takes for mcmillan stocks, berger bullets, good optics, then the 7-800 dollars for a custom rebarrel and action job really isnt that much more.

So would my best bet be to buy a lefty action and then get a good barrel, stock, etc and go that route? Where could I find just a lefty action and trigger?

Thanks for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.