Learning long range hunting

BLASERMAN

I have shot ,with a regular rifle 415 yds a .300WBY .
How or Where can I learn about long range hunting Like the article that I read on the 803 yrd sheep.Is there a book or DVD or Video. I 'd like to learn to dial a scope or calculate slope ect.

Dave I live in Dundalk MD. Is there any long range places to shoot in Maryland. Any clubs with ranges to shoot long range.

None that I know of that are close to Baltimore.

I have a few places close to shoot but they're fast being turned into housing subdivisions.

Best bet is to spend a few day in the Spring driving the country asking farmers for permission to shoot groundhogs (and deer if they have a crop damage problem). I usually try to catch the farmers in the fields while they're on the equipment, many don't care to be disturbed while they're at home (doesn't happen too much in the Spring).

Quantico has a 1,000 yard range, there are ranges in PA. These may require you do some scheduling to meet the correct folks to join.

Good advice I have already went through some back posts and learned some.Now I have to work on it this spring.

Blas

There is a 600 yard club in Bridgeville that has winter matches. Go to benchrest central to find out their link. you can PM or reg email Bill Truitt as he has the matches. He is also top gunsmith and has used guns for sale all the time.

VA 1000 BR club at Quantico will start shooting in the spring. BR central has the links, Quantico shooting club is holding fun shoots once a month now start at 100 and going out. VA 1000 yard pres, David Brower is shooting and his contact info is on the site.

BH

There are a couple of ranges in Pa that I belong to that have 1000yd capability.

Mifflin
They have some fun shoots for everything from 22 rifles to 17 hmr to sporter center fires to bench guns out to 500 yds.
Read the rules for the groundhog shoots and decide which guns you would like to participate with. I will probably go several times next year so if you need a ride I could swing by and pick you up.

Membership for driving up and shooting using the range on other days is $25 per year. It is where I go to get dialed in for 1000yds.

There is also the Williamsport 1000yd club which is benchrest but for $30 you can become a member and use the range. Long drive but you are closer than me. Their website is down at the moment. You can also shoot anythng you got in their matches but it is 10 rounds in 8 minutes which will warp a light sporter barrel into a pretzel. Your gun has to be really heat stable to stay on the paper at that rate of fire.

My advice would be to get some small caliber gun shooting well and go to Mifflin and try dialing and shooting and shooting and dialing. It does not matter whtether it is a 22lr or a 6mmPPC -the principle is the same. Accuracy, BC, trajectory, scope repeatibility, trigger,etc.

The other place that has some fun shoots is South fork

Experience is the best teacher so get some with paper.

I heard that they are putting in a 1000yd range at Bridgeville, The already have a 600yd range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I live in Dundalk also, are there any ranges that have long range pistol shoots. If there are I would sure like to know about it. Iwould like to try shooting at 600 to 1000 yards if possible.
THANK YOU

Many of the LR rifle comps will allow pistols to shoot also.
One of their fears is that you will end up disqualifying others shooter by printing on their target.
Just check ahead of time with the folks who control/admin. the shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.