Lawton 8000 Bottom Metal?

E4aker

I'm wanting to build me a new rifle based off a .408 case on a lawton 8000 or 8500 repeater action. I'm wondering where to source the bottom metal. I've done some searches but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Also, who inlays stocks to fit it? I'm not 100% set on this one receiver. If someone thinks their is a better option for a .408 repeater, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Earl,

I have the bottom metal that was designed for Chey Tac to use with the Lawton 8000.
I also have a CNC program for the inlet.

Give me a shout if you need more info.

I'm wanting to build me a new rifle based off a .408 case on a lawton 8000 or 8500 repeater action. I'm wondering where to source the bottom metal. I've done some searches but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Also, who inlays stocks to fit it? I'm not 100% set on this one receiver. If someone thinks their is a better option for a .408 repeater, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Contact Dave Viers of Veirsco Manufactureing hes an A1 bloke and he will build the .408 case based rifle of your dreams. He does reccomend the single shots for a little more accuracy Thus Lawton 8000. Manners make stocks for the as does McMillan, Dave does some wicked Paint Jobs on stocks to......ask for midnight tree ;) He has gone above and beyond to help us guys out.

I am currently having a 338 lapua built on a lawton 8500 repeater action (and it is almost done). Per my conversations about this rifle to this point this is what I have been told (from lawton himself) Seekins is the best bet for DM bottom metal. They make the longest mag of any, a full 4 inches, and he recommends Manner for the stock. Manner should already have the programs to do the inleting.

The 8500 and the 8000 are two completely different actions.

The bottom metal is not interchangeable.

Yes you are correct sir. However the original poster stated that he was looking at either the 8000 or 8500 thus I gave him the intel I had on the 8500. Either way the intel on the stock is the same. From what I have been told Manner has the inletting program for all of the lawton actions.

You are also correct Sir, however the original poster did not know that the 8500 could not be used with the .408 case in a repeater configuration.

Can the Lawton model 8500 Single Shot action be used with a CHEYTAC case? I've heard both yes and no from different people.

Also Will the action fit into a standard remington 700 stock? If that is the case, that would be an affordable option for a lightweight cheytac build.

The 8500 came about as a platform for CheyTac to build the .338 Lapua and a light weight .408 on.
It can be used as a single shot action for the .408 based cartridges.
Since the action hole spacing is the same as the Rem, Seekins detachable mag bottom metal will work for the Lapua.
The 8500, 1.450" dia, can be used with a standard size stock, I have a CNC program written for it.
The 8000 will not fit a standard stock.

Last edited:
Earl asked - "Also Will the action fit into a standard remington 700 stock?"

No, not according to McMillan. It won't fint into any of their stocks designed for the Rem 700 action - hunter series. The only stock they offer for it is their A-5 tactical stock. I guess the action being 0.090" larger in diameter than a Rem 700 is the issue with it not fitting.

I just went through the whole "which stocks will fit a Lawton 8500" over the last month with my father's build. He was planning on using the 8500 to build a hunting rifle chambered in 300 Dakota. I asked Lawton if it would fit into a McMillan stock when I first spoke with them without being specific as to which stock model and was told yes. I ordered the 8500 action and it wasn't until our gunsmith called McMillan to order the stock that we found out it would only work in their tactical A-5 - not what my father wanted for his hunting rifle. So, we switched our order over to a Lawton 7000 - Rem 700 clone - which will fit any of McMillan's stocks designed for the Rem 700 including the one my father wanted, Remington Hunter.

Manners produces stocks that will fit the Lawton 8500.

I guess the answer to your question about stock compatibility depends on who is manufacturing the stock. I don't think it will fit into a Remington factory stock due to its larger diameter.

Bruce baer is the person who makes the dbm for the 8000. An A-5 is one of the stocks you can use with it. The 8500 i think dick told me that it work in a few of there stocks but i could be wrong. Buy a mcree stock that has the bottom metal in it.

Last edited:
If any of yall need some seekins 338 detachable bottom metal let me know. I will let it go for the price I paid and no waiting. I bought two sets but only used one.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.