This is the second stock I've ever made. The first was made out of Beech and was never actually used. Bedded it and everything just to try out the steps. This one I completely finished including adding a grind to fit recoil pad. The wood is Lyptus which is my favorite dark wood to use making picture frames. It's inexpensive and with a good stain looks similar to Mahogany. I made the blank by Gorilla Gluing two 4/4 boards together alternating the grain essentially making a 2 piece laminate stock. You can see the glue line from directly above but it is not noticeable unless you look for it. The finish is numerous coats of a wiping varnish the same I use on frames. Wet sanding the finish in filled the pores. The stock is not much heavier than the tupperware plastic stock that came on this Remington SPS. The POI shift when using a bipod with the plastic stock was driving me nuts hence the need for a stiffer wood stock. No checkering though I may try that later. I had a blow out when inletting the ejection port and then a few sanding marks I could have spent a few more minutes on but overall I'm real happy with it. Made the pistol grip nice and thick to fit my big paws. Going to epoxy on the recoil pad tonight to fill the slight gap. Should take it for a test run this weekend.