Last Minute Suggestions for MT Moose Hunt?

Troutslayer

I'm off in a couple of days for my moose hunt. If I don't see anything I want to shoot I will go back when there is more snow on the ground and they will be easy to find. I have been looking all over the web for pictures of high scoring moose which I have downloaded and am sort of using as a guide for what to shoot.

I couldn't get the rifle to paper with anything but 180s so that's what I'm going to shoot, probably not too long range or anything but we will see. I'm packing in for 6 miles on foot so I'm bringing the lightest rifle I've got, a Win. Sporter Mag. It shoots nice and can't weigh more than 8lbs. I'm hoping that I will be able to arrange horse support if I get one down but we're bringing the frames and it is likely we'll be carrying it out on our backs if all goes well.

We are going to video the hunt and if I'm successful I will put it on Youtube or something. I will be around for a few more days and will be looking forward to your sage advice.

Suggestion 1: Find Moose w/antlers
Suggestion 2: Decide if antlers are sufficient. Long points, big concave palms. Kind of wide. That's all I knon.

Suggestion 3: Shoot the sucker
Suggestion 4: You're on your own from here. The work is about to begin. 6 miles in, eh!

Good luck and God Speed\.

Good luck on the hunt. Sounds like you've done your homework and research. If you're packing in 6 miles, light is definetly the way to go! 180's will do good on the ole swamp donkey!

Look forward to the results.

Cheers.

Lightweight rifle ;-)

I wish you the absolute best of luck.

You gave me a bit of a chuckle though, carry in a lightweight 8lb rifle and carry out a 1000lb animal.

Best of luck, take a bunch of pictures and Motrin.

AJ

Just aquick note that might give you a pick me up. Rumor is that a hunter took a road killed moose head to game warden Jeff Cambell about two weeks ago. The moose was hit near Lincoln, and had a spread of 57"!!!!!! I think it was a good year for antler growth. Good luck on your hunt, and congrats on drawing the tag!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts