Lasik eye surgery

I have to second the original poster. I had lasik six months ago here is Great Falls, MT at pacific laser and cataract. DR Paul Shenk was my surgeon. I am very pleased with my results, and the quality of service was amazing. Best $3,000 I have ever spent. I had -5.75 in each eye, and now see 20/20+ in my right eye, and 20/15 in my left.

i recently had catarac surgery on both eyes. 1 week apart, and 1 month before my 75th birthday.
for a number of years my site was diminishing. it got to be impossible clearing up the focus on the large binnoculars i use. also night driving, especially in rainy weather was bad. i dont think my vision was ever this good. i have just one bit of advise. dont put it off.

PRK vs LASIK.

Lasik is where a "flap" is cut on the cornea, and flipped over. Then laser correction occurs, and the flap is returned to its original position.

PRK is where a thin layer of the cornea is "scraped" away. Laser correction occurs, and then the cornea must heal on its own.

PRK is used in some cases where the cornea is not thick enough to allow Lasik. It is typically more painful, and takes longer to heal.

Im not a doctor, but researched these options when I had my Lasik done. I hope this info is accurate, even though it is very simplified.

aroshtr

Pretty close as to what was described previously. Every eye is different and it pays to get a few consults with different Dr.s Eye shape has a bit to do with selecting the right process.. If you can get Lasik go for it.. PRK is an older technique..

This stuff is cutting edge and there are always improvements.
Equipment for surgery such as Lasers have improved in leaps and bounds.. My recovery took 2 weeks ad vision kept improving for 6 months at least!

Great post, thanks for all the info. I have been kicking lasik around for about a year now. -6.25/-5.75. As far as cost goes, I don't really care how much if I can get rid of my glasses/contacts had them since third grade.

Did anyone notice any problems with their scopes or optics bothering them after the surgery?

Brent

Good post.

I lived with cataracts for way longer than I should have. When I voluntarily stopped driving at night I new I had waited too long.

Life was bad, scopes were dim and I was curb stumbling due to loss of depth perception.

2-20 minute sessions a week apart and I had two new lens and 20/20 in the left and 20/25 in the right.

Got the long range lens just cause I'd rather leave the glasses at home when hunting. Use eye glasses only to read, close up work and to read the prices at the store.....

I know this is an old thread, but I'm scheduled to have lasik done in February and I just want to man's sure I'm not going to mess up my hunting. I have a really terrible astigmatism and I'm far sighted. This is the worst of the worst so I'm told. Anyways, they thought they could get me fixed to where I could see good without glasses. After 15 years or so they said eventually I'd need reading glasses. This is where my question arises and I think Roy might be able to answer it.

If you need glasses to see up close does it mess you up while looking down range at an animal or target while trying to focus on the reticle? Are both still clear and crisp? Same for a rangefinder, are you able to read the readout and see what you're ranging? Thanks for any and all answers.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm scheduled to have lasik done in February and I just want to man's sure I'm not going to mess up my hunting. I have a really terrible astigmatism and I'm far sighted. This is the worst of the worst so I'm told. Anyways, they thought they could get me fixed to where I could see good without glasses. After 15 years or so they said eventually I'd need reading glasses. This is where my question arises and I think Roy might be able to answer it.

If you need glasses to see up close does it mess you up while looking down range at an animal or target while trying to focus on the reticle? Are both still clear and crisp? Same for a rangefinder, are you able to read the readout and see what you're ranging? Thanks for any and all answers.

I had mine done several years ago. When asked if I wanted to see far or close, thinking of hunting, I said I want to see like an eagle.

I see like an eagle but never got over thinking like a duck!@:)

Seeing short range, long range, extreme long range is not a prob. However I need glasses to use the computer, read and see the turrets.

Not a bad trade for not seeing well at all.

Go for it.

However, verify that you are getting absolutely "new" lens. If you get a pair recycled from a woman you'll never be the same.....

Lol. Thank you for the insight! I hadn't even thought about reading the turrets. That won't be any fun, but ultimately you're right, it beats no seeing well at all.

I had mine done last month >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/lasik-163599/ ... and I'm doing really well.

That's great! Nearly everything I read about it and shooting is all positive. I just wasn't sure how the long term effects would be down the road when I had to have reading type glasses. I'm assuming I'll have more trouble with pistol sights than I will a scoped rifle, but I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect. There's really no going back once you do it. Roy brought up a good point that I hadn't thought of about reading the turrets. I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

That's great! Nearly everything I read about it and shooting is all positive. I just wasn't sure how the long term effects would be down the road when I had to have reading type glasses. I'm assuming I'll have more trouble with pistol sights than I will a scoped rifle, but I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect. There's really no going back once you do it. Roy brought up a good point that I hadn't thought of about reading the turrets. I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

That's why I opted for the mono-vision (left eye only -dominant eye) so I won't have the need for reading glasses. I understand it's not for everybody but it suits me just fine.

My hunting buddy just had his done a couple of weeks ago but with PRK; I don't remember the exact reason but they cannot do LASIK on him. He said his was very painful after a couple of days and still having trouble in his recuperation but it's slowly coming along.

With LASIK, at least with my personal experience, it was a bit blurry but I can see immediately after the operation.

Not sure if the mono-vision option works for you or has been presented to you but it might be worth checking into. In either case, LASIK (if one meets the requirements) over PRK is the way to go. You'll do just fine!

Good luck!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.