Large Rifle primer usage instead of 209 shotgun primer

The entire system- breech plug design with a LRP primer and module is designed to effectively burn BH209 better. CVA even makes their own version but I don't believe it's as refined as the Arrowhead or the Hankins system.
Yes, I've read that the CVA OEM plugs aren't great with BH209 but that the CVA BH209 plug solves the ignition issues. No reason, however, that a 209 plug won't give you the same ballistic results as a module plug. If shooting LRPs makes you happy, go for it.

Yes, I've read that the CVA OEM plugs aren't great with BH209 but that the CVA BH209 plug solves the ignition issues. No reason, however, that a 209 plug won't give you the same ballistic results as a module plug. If shooting LRPs makes you happy, go for it.
It makes me happy and I can burn more of it and cleaner. As I said originally, "to each their own". There's a significant design difference in both the Hankins and the Arrowhead plugs over the CVA. The powder in the Arrowhead is literally about a 1/8" or less from the primer flash hole in the plug, spark to powder ignition is instant! The Hankins is similar but ignition still has to travel about 3/8" to get to powder. The CVA has a multi sized flash hole and the ignition from the primer has to travel down 2 different diameters of flash hole plus it has to travel all half the length of the breech plug before entering the powder column and coming in contact with the powder. I've run all 3 and the proof is in the pudding. Of the 3 the Arrowhead is the best and resulted in the best consistency, accuracy and velocity. I can run more powder producing more MV.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I haven't really tested it, but I believe that 209 primers with 777 powder causes serious crud rings. I know that with #11 caps and 777 I don't get that crud ring. It could be that the rifle that shoots #11s has a hand lapped bore. I don't know, and the guy that built the Kahnkes is out of business.