Large .338s... potential accuracy?

The improved rgby can get a tad more powder than the 378 case and the excalibur a tad more than the rigby.

Chas1, I have seven because of all the big 338's I have shot the 338-378 is the best with over the counter products I can buy in a pinch on a remote hunt if necessary. They are different weight and styles for different types of hunting. Different barrel lengths, actions, stocks, etc for different purposes. The improved versions can only get me maybe 100 fps more and I feel the benefit of being able to buy bullets when the airlines looses mine is worth losing 100 fps. That has happenned twice to me. Yesterday I shot my 338 ultra, 338-300 ultra, 338 lapua and 338-378 head to head trying to determine which one goes on the dall sheep/grizzly hunt. With best accuracy loads velocities were in that order. The 338-378 was 140 fps faster than the lapua and 190-200 fps faster than the 338-300 ultra and 338 ultra. The 338-378 pushed the 225 accubond 3480 fps with 128 grains of H-870 and put three through a 3" bullseye at 600 yards. Problem is it weighs 10 3/4 pounds. My tikka 300wsm shot well also with a 150 etip at 3380 fps and weighs 7 1/4 pounds. Decisions, decisions. As I near 60 I can't backpack the big 338-378 up and down sheep hills like I could a few years ago.

Last edited:
Thank You for the report! That's another piece of the puzzle.

I understand the 60 thing.. I'm gettin' older, too!

The Mark V is neat in that you can pop the extractor claw off the cartridge with your thumbnail and very easily remove a loaded cartridge.

What are some good sources for load data on the cartridges the Ranger just mentioned? I guess they would be on-line to be current?

Midway has books but some are almost 10 years old... the 'Any shot you want' seems to be the only source for the Excaliber?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts