Lapua project in the works

dougm

Well, I got the .338 Lapua mag project in the works.
I ordered a Stiller Tacc.338 action yesterday. I have a Bartlein barrel on order 1:12 twist at 20 inches finished length. I have my Patriot Arms Fat Bastard brake (this thing is amazing!). I'll probably get a Joel Russo laminate Lee Six style stock for it.

According to AccuLoad and Load From a Disk, I should be able to get a bit over 99% burn of the powder when shooting 225 grain bullets and speed between 2900 and 3000 fps. That would equal a .338 win mag rifle which is what I'm after.

Right now for the scope I'm thinking a Horus Vision or Mark 4 Leupy not sure which one as yet.

I went with the Stiller action after talking with others about the strength of the xp action when shooting the Lapua mag. I just felt like I needed more strength and so went with an action designed for the big Lapua.

Right now it looks like I'm going to have GA Precision do the chambering and assembly. I'll most likely get Joel to bed it for me in his stock.

I'm hoping to have it all built by June so I can work with it and take it Elk hunting in Colorado fall of 09.

Last edited:
Well, I got the .338 Lapua mag project in the works.
I ordered a Stiller Tacc.338 action yesterday. I have a Bartlein barrel on order 1:12 twist at 20 inches finished length. I have my Patriot Arms Fat Bastard brake (this thing is amazing!). I'll probably get a Joel Russo laminate Lee Six style stock for it.
According to AccuLoad and Load From a Disk, I should be able to get a bit over 99% burn of the powder when shooting 225 grain bullets and speed between 2900 and 3000 fps. That would equal a .338 win mag rifle which is what I'm after.
Right now for the scope I'm thinking a Horus Vision or Mark 4 Leupy not sure which one as yet.
I went with the Stiller action after talking with others about the strength of the xp action when shooting the Lapua mag. I just felt like I needed more strength and so went with an action designed for the big Lapua.
I'm hoping to have it all built by June so I can work with it and take it Elk hunting in Colorado fall of 09.

WTG Doug!!!
Are you going with a full length, standard Lapua cartridge?

Yep, a full length Lapua magnum.

I read some stuff about the new .338 Norma mag and it seemed to work very well with shorter barrels especially, but brass appeared scarce and load data is slim, so decided to go with something that has been around for awhile.

I looked at the .330 Dakota but when I ran the numbers with the various ballistic programs it didn't seem like I could get the velocity I wanted without pushing it hard. The Lapua looked as though it would work without really pushing it hard.

I could have went with a wild cat, but the Lapua fit what I was looking to get velocity wise and with the availability of custom actions designed for it and all I just went with it.

I'll probably get a bit higher velocities than a standard .338 win mag once I begin to work with it, but I'm sure I'll be able to at least equal a .338 win mag from a rifle.

Doug, that thing is going to be a beast...

How've you been? How did that 6.5 Keen turn out?

I just ordered the same TAC 338 action, but I'm going with a full size rifle.

Hi Joel,
I'm fine, hope you're doing well too.

Glad to hear you're getting a tac338 hopefully that will mean you'll make up a program to inlett the stocks for that action :)

It probably will be a beast, but what the heck. the Patriot Arms brake works really well. I saw a video on Utube showing an 8 year old boy shooting a .338 Lapua rifle. The recoil hardly moved his shoulder! No muzzle rise either. I guess we'll find out how good it is soon enough (LoL)

Otta be a heck of an elk thumper though!

Once I get it built I'll be calling you to order up the stock.

Doug

Doug,

Glad to hear you're doing well, all is well here.

I already have a CNC program written for the TAC 338, inletted quite a few stocks for it in the past couple weeks.

How does that 6.5 Keen shoot?

This should be quite an interesting project.

Doug,
Eric Wallace shoots a rear grip 338 Lapua Improved and it is a hoot to shoot.
You are going to love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.