Lapua Hunting Build?

Autorotate19

Hey guys,

I am slowly working towards piecing together a full custom 1000-1200 yard hunting rifle for long range elk. I would like to keep the weight of it around 14 lbs. loaded with scope etc.... What parts would you use to accomplish this? Which custom action, stock, and barrel configuration. I figured on something fluted at 26" and I want to make sure I can feed rounds from the mag. I was leaning towards using a Nightforce. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Austin,
I'll tell you how I'd build it for me (or you). I'd use a Stiller Predator (or Defiance Machine if I could make myself wait for one) action. Manners GAT, Brux light Palma at 26", and Jewell trigger. Wyatts extended mag box, and a nice brake. I'd chamber it in 338Norma. Top it with a Nightforce.

Elk at 1500+ better hide.

Sako trg 338 LA, usually shoot 1/2 moa,27'' barrel ,1-10,brake full adjust stock and same on 2 stage trigger. Last year Siperhide had group buy on them for $ 2250, LOT OF GUN for the money, 11 3/4 lbs.. My elk rifle is a 26'' braked, Defiance,Lonewolf, 338 Norma.

If I could find one for that kind of a deal I don't know that you could beat it for the money. I have also been looking at the Savage 110 ba and 110 tcp with the HS Precision Stock on it. Does anyone have much experience with them?

Thanks gun)

.338 LM or the AI version. You will not beat the Lapua brass. It IS the cheapest you can buy and consistancy second to none. For an action go with a custom Defiance or find a Wby Mark V. I would go with a 1 in 10 twist Hart or Lilja. The 26" is OK but I would strongly condider 28" plus brake. Contour should be in the Rem Sendero at least, with a muzzle dia of .830" or so. Have the barrel maker flut it with 6 1/4" flutes before final stress and lapping. Brake... JP Precision. McMillan Lazeroni Thumbhole stock. NF 20 MOA rail, NF rings and a NXS 5.5~22X56 with a NP-R1 Reticle. Load her up with H-1000, CCI 250's and 300 gr Berger OTM's. Then prepare to be amazed. :D

Can you tell I have been thinking of one of these? When my 338 LM barrel wears out, My rifle will probably get a make over to this exact rifle. But approaching 1500 rounds soon my 338 LM is still a solid 1/2moa rifle to past 1400.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.