Lapua custom build

TexHunt

I am starting a 338 lapua custom build, I have ordered a surgeon action and have decided on a krieger barrel and would input on the contour and length, trigger, and brake.

My goal is a gun that is reasonable to carry for hunting, around 10 pounds, but i do not want to sacrifice accuracy.

Let me know if you need more input from me on what I am looking for, really want to do this right.

I built a Lapua a few years back with your same goals in mind. My rifle is 10 1/4 lbs without the scope. My barrel is a #5 lijia. Although my rifle is extemely accurate, my next barrel with be a #7 or heavy palma. In my humble opinion, 10 1/4lbs is too light for that rifle. You are unable to spot your shots with the recoil, 11-11.5lbs I feel would have been much better. Below is a photo of my rifle. Hope this helps.

Just my two cents!

Attachments

• P9060020[1] 338 Lapua.jpg
    P9060020[1] 338 Lapua.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Capt, that was our initial thoughts, was a #5 fluted, but we are leaning more to the #7 now. What are your thoughts on barrel length, 26 or 27"?

I went with a 28" and it's fine. My personal opinion is that a 27"-28" will be perfect in a # 7 barrel. Let me know how the build turns out. I really like this caliber. So far, I have taken an elk at 234 yards and a oryx at 700+ with it.

27" is sounding good in the #7 with flutes. It is going to be a slow build, the action is not going to be here until after the first of the year, and the kreiger barrel is 7 months.

I will keep you posted....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.