Lapua brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by midwesthunter, Feb 12, 2012.

1. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

Those who use it do you FL size your brand new brass? I do all new brass. But I have read in several places where people say you don't need too with lapua.

2. joe0121

joe0121 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't need to, but really why tempt fate.

3. 7 loader

7 loader Well-Known Member

Allways have. I just don't trust how shippers handle packages and the factory sometimes doesn't notice small dents in the mouths.

4. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

Not that it needs it. But, I generally do a bunch of uniforming and brass prep with my 6.5x284 right out of the box.

With the 6br however, I just neck size, load, and shoot. I'm still building up my once-fired stockpile for sorting and uniforming. ...easiest cartridge to load that I've ever used.

-- richard

5. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

I don't see how brand of brass would change a lot about your preps.
    You can still cull by thickness variance, and/or chamfer mouths, trim to same length, set primer pocket depths, maybe turn necks or set a false shoulder.
    The brass will still have to be fireformed before it's capacity settles to match or not, regardless of sizing.

I use Norma, Lapua, Winchester(reloading brass), and am completely satisfied with each of them.
    I've used Bell brass from Lazzeroni & Tubb, and found it to be horrible stuff.
    But it didn't change anything about my preps. I just ended up with fewer cases actually used.

While most 'could' load & shoot pretty much any brass without preps -in a generous chamber. I wouldn't dispense with basic reloading over a change in brass brand.

6. Gene

Gene Well-Known Member

I always expand new brass at the necks, no matter the brand. If you are neck turning, this is necessary anyhow. Otherwise, I see no need to size it. Agreed, it takes 2 or 3 loadings before it settles down.

7. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

I bought Lapua brass for my 6.5-284 Norma but was unable to get a FL die so I purchased a Redding neck size die. I neck sized this brass 4 times before I had to FL resize it.
    Outstanding brass and outstanding accuracy. JohnnyK.