Lapua Brass

Rflshootr

If anyone needs Lapua brass, you'd better get it now if you can find it.

1667458627387.png

That may be a possibility, but I think it is more like the bullet manufacturers, filling military contracts first, then supplying ammo manufacturers. As far as we go, it's like looking in the fridge for dinner and making do with the leftovers. 😆

Might be they're dropping scheduled runs of certain cases, and the runs they picked are before or after runs of things that they need to make more of, so those runs can then be extended. Some things on that list probably don't get run all that often.

Changeovers takes time, if they can leave machines set up for more shifts they get more production out of the same machines. Some of the drops make sense, but 6 Creedmoor is a very popular round now and Capstone uses the cases in their own loaded Berger ammo. Might be hoarding their runs to make their own ammo, dropping external sales until they can get a run scheduled again.

Finland is about to join NATO & wars require massive amounts of ammo. Look for some Vihtavuori powders to go off market also. Hopefully there will be no accidents when millions of rounds & and many tons of powder are manufactured. Might get into WWIII. Russinskys get extremely upset when more countries like Finland & Sweden join NATO. My guess is the available brass items are common and have moderate supplies available.

Pray for peace!

Last edited:
I bought a couple of boxes of Lapua 6.5-284 once I decided that would be my next gun. I have checked several times since then out of curiosity to see how easy or difficult it is to find components compared to other cartridges. I have always found some in stock when looking, usually at several retailers. If I were Lapua I'd rather meet higher demand items, and I would think their retailers would agree. And as already mentioned, you get manufacturing efficiencies from reducing changeover time.

I looked after I saw this thread, just out of curiosity, and it is in stock everywhere. I would have thought people that own or want to own this cartridge would buy up the remaining stock immediately.

Lapua is part of their State & EU mil supply chain. Thru all of this industry supply issues they have never been running at full capacity. By design they have entire machine lines off line that they can use to ramp up if there is a military need. They do not need to cut anything to increase production of mil designated cases. It is not like our domestic powder, primer, bullet, or loaded ammo industry. In the US we basically only have one powder manf St Mark's. Thru several war colleges it's been pointed out that domestically we have single points of failure such as munitions powder. We no longer treat our small arms ammo manf as mil strategic assets. Russia China both do. As well as many other countries. It is mind boggling.

Is there a company on Earth that's NOT in failure now?
IMO, for whatever that works and is still available, we're at a point where you will hoard it, or forever lose it.

It's not due to resources. It's due to bad management infesting the globe.
A cult-like self destruction.