Lapua Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by farpiece, Apr 28, 2013.

1. farpiece

farpiece Active Member

I just purchased a 260 Rem, and probably start with 140 VLD. Everyone is saying to go with the Lapua brass, how many reloads have y'all gotten out of a case?

2. Bart B

Bart B Well-Known Member

I doubt everyone's saying to use Lapua brass.

I'd use Winchester or Remington and, properly full length resized with the right die, you should get 25 to 30 reloads per case; easily. Great accuracy, too. Sort 'em into 1/2 grain weight spreads and they'll shoot as good as any other. In my opinion, that is.

3. X-man

X-man Well-Known Member

Lapua is better brass in my opinion, but Bart B is right about blueprinted Winchester Remington being just as accurate.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but I have never had a Remington/Winchester case go 30 rounds...not even close. I would suggest 5-10 to be a more realistic number. I usually pitch Lapua at 10-15 reloads, but you could easily keep going if you wanted. At that many reloads you are looking at completely re-bluepriting the brass...or at least fixing up the neck/dread doughnut.
    All of this depends upon pressure. If you load hot any case will be short lived.

4. Bart B

Bart B Well-Known Member

A friend of mine shot one .308 Win. case 57 times in his match rifle clamped in his machine rest. Sierra 168's over 42 grains of IMR4895 in a Federal case; a max load. Full length sized every time. All of 'em went inside 3/8th inch center to center.

5. X-man

X-man Well-Known Member

Damn! That is some serious case life!
    In Federal brass yet!?

FWIW I can run 46 grains in my rifle and it is right at 60,000psi (I have pressure testing gear).
    44.5 grains makes one hole in my rifle.

6. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Lapua makes excellent brass, from my experience.

7. snowpro440

snowpro440 Well-Known Member

if you want the brass to last and push the envelope a little then buy the lapua brand brass, other than that just buy what you can get if your shooting in the safe zone . Lapua has excellent quality brass that will last much longer...

8. farpiece

farpiece Active Member

Thanks everyone, didn't mean everyone on LRH was saying to use Lapua, just a few guys at the range.