Laping scope rings

YELLOW LAB

I have a new Zeiss and use Leupold base and rings on a 300 win mag.

do you feel that it is needed to lap the rings or not? just your thoughts

tks

If it was me I would. I bought one from Sinclair about 5 years ago.
I seen a guy use his scope to turn the rings to mount his scope...That is no ********.
He bent the tube and was thinking it would be Garanteed.
I have seen some people do some of the dumbest things in my life.
every person I shoot with has acsess to a Lapping tool and use them
it takes just a little pressure and you can get a dent in your tube.
this is one of my go to tools, I may need it once but its worth it.
if you use care, you can get away with out it.
if if you have never mounted a scope that expencive, I would never take a chance.
the cost fron a Gun Smith won't be as much as it would be if you dent it or bend it.
Be smart for the long run, take no chances.

Definitely lap 'em. I don't heavily lap any of them but just a light lapping and i don't get marks on any of my scopes anymore. Unlapped leupolds were the only thing I ever had leave ring marks but that may have been due to my propensity to purchase those over others in the past.

50-50 for me
half of the scopes I mount into Burris Signature rings, the other half I lap the rings
There is NO downside to lapping rings, it just takes longer

There's lots of good rings out there. Badger ordinance, warner,etc. I think the weak link with std leupold mounts is the windage screw mount on the rear ring and prefer a picatinny style mount. For your money its hard to beat an EGW rail and a set of warne permanent rings, you can use em as a carry handle and they just don't move

I have never changed, I stayed with Leupold after I tried Weaver aluminum rings with two screws that always got crossed. Tou can spend a **** pile of dollars if you want but
Dollar for Dollar, I have been just fine with Leupold.

I have a set of dual dovetail rings on one of my encores and they have been alright but I did get ring marks on a scope out of them before I lapped them. I just prefer a sturdy mount and I think you get better recoil resistance with a pic. rail.

Who makes the best scope rings other than leupold
It is not about how good the rings are it is about ALIGNMENT of the rings.
Scopes with dents have a much lower value than those without. Misaligned rings can cause improper tracking and poor scope preformance also

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.