Lake of the Ozarks

bangflop88

Just getting started in long ranging. I'm an Ozark boy with a 30-378 that was put together by a good friend of mine in Montana. I've killed goats out to 650 and 5 kills over 400. Weatherby 30-378 accumark with 3.5 by 15 nightforce. Looking to put together a smaller caliber speed goat gun and white tail killer. Looking at 6mm BR, 260 or 257 weatherby. 500 yards is my 1000 for now, but I love to bang steel out to 800 or so. Love this site and look forward to learning more about this great sport.

Welcome aboard ! That rifle sounds familiar. Wait, I think I see it laying on that Elk below. :D

There are many calibers that will do what you want. Banging steel with your buds and culling does that 6 br with 105's or 107's would be hard to beat and so accurate you would be amazed. Plus the barrel life is great and the price to shoot it with top notch compoenents is very affordable. But for some of those bigger WT bucks you go after in northers MO. you would want to take the 30-378.

There is a thread on here about a rifle I am really looking forward to seeing. It is a 6.5 Sherman and you should read the thread. The guys that built it and own it are straight shooters. They are both members here I shoot with one of them quite a bit "BignGreen". His dad actually owns the rifle and as I understand it it has been in the family taking game for years. They recently rechambered it to this chambering. I am not sure it would be a great chouce for you for a steel pounder as I don't know what the barrel life expectancy is. But there are plenty on here that do. Anyway you should read about it a little.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.