Ladder test interpertation

Hello,

For me, when I had the digital scale that was only good for .1 grains, I weighed the powder using the blinking method. Specifically, weigh the powder such that it JUST blinks to the correct value. This way you are minimizing the variance between powder charges. Of course, the easiest way is to get a more accurate scale (Acculab is accurate to .02 grains) and go -.000 and + .02 grains when working up loads.

Hope this helps.

James

James,

Which model Acculab scale are you using/referring to? Approximate cost? Source for purchase? Thanks,

Paul

James,

Which model Acculab scale are you using/referring to? Approximate cost? Source for purchase? Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

I got it from Sinclair International for about $278 (this is my second one as lightning got the first one. The model is VIC-123. It does not use batteries so don't remove the sealed cover. It also has a feature that allows for hanging items off the bottom hook.

Good shooting and hunting. Don't forget to put the seatbelt on that valuable rifle. ;)

James

All three of your pictures posted with the vld's have the same node in common- 36.6/36.7.

Another offering that might be of some interest is Dan Newberry's article on Optimal Charge Weight. The principle between the OCW method and the ladder test are the same, but it is my opinion that the OCW method offers less room for error.

However somebody already said it: for 300 yards those are some good looking targets, no matter what the charge weight.

EH

I found the 36.6 but not the 36.7... Where is it?

James

Thanks James.

Seat belt... Ha! :p Air bags too in case I plow into that moose the next time -- for no other reason than messing with my scope's zero adjustment!

seating depth test. same conditions 36.7grs.
scan0001.jpg

Going off the seating depth test; the -20 and -30 naturally seem to shoot together. That appears to be the area the gun prefers. A seating depth node if you will. Now, with this data in hand - go back to the bench and redo the powder charges with this seating depth. At this point, you just took another variable out of it. Now your looking for a powder charge; instead of a powder charge and a seating depth.

*assuming that all shots were good solid shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts