lackapics

silvertip-co

As I am new here I notice that the site is highly technical, which is GREAT, but I find no long range 'hunting' pics and hunting setups. In fact it seems the 'hunting' aspect may be secondary to the technical. It would be great to see pics of guys long range 'hunting' set ups and 'hunts' much like on the Lilja barrel site. Just seems like all the tech stuff goes to waste if we just punch paper and don't hunt with what we buy, use, or build.

And I am still trying to figger out the relationship of bowhunting to long range rifle hunting, maybe I am just old stupid and cynical, but I dont see it. I bowhunt often, but as bowhunters have 925,000 place to go(Google) I'm wrestling with the fit here.

It is all Len's fault. The membership here has grown tremendously over about the last year. About six months ago he added new categories to the forum. Since then everyone has posted their questions and stuff in the "hunting" section. Optics questions get posted here, Ballistics questions get posted here, all manner of barrel questions get posted here and even the general discussion question like yours gets posted in the Hunting section. As a result no one can find anything anymore and no one will run "search". And being as everyone is an "expert" no one will post even the simplest question in the "Basic" section. Forty lashes to you all and no gruel tonight.

Now then to answer your question. Hunting setups are usually shown during hunting season by the people who are successful or who just enjoy taking pictures. If you go back to the Hunting section last September through January you will find most of the hunting stories and many of them will have a picture of their setup. Of course you will have to wade through all of the non-hunting posts that has been put there by people who seldom go hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif and you will then begin to understand what I have just said.

As far as the bowhunting section goes, we had a thread about two years ago on what is your longest kill with archery equipment. That was before we got so many new members and it was mostly just us die hard long range types. You would be amazed at the ranges some people have made one shot kills with a bow. I thought I had done some fancy archery shooting but not when comapred to some of the really extremely skilled people on this forum. I will probably order me a Mojo or X-Force after Christmas and begin the journey back into long range bow hunting. Even more so than rifle hunting, it requires extreme amounts of practice and skill to reach out longrange. The challenge will be most enjoyable.

There is such a thing called long range bow hunting! Back in the mid 70's when I was 16 I got my first compound bow; a Jennings T-Star. I'm not sure exactly how far they could launch a graflex arrow with a razor back #5 broadhead but we think it was somewhere between 350 and 400 yards.

We spotted some geese in a field a long ways away and sent two razorback #5 graflex mortar round arrows there direction. My buddy shot the exact same setup I had. Well the moon and planets were alighed for my buddy as he connected with one of the geese on the ground. Stunned the heck out of us he connected.

We had no intentions on hitting a goose, we were really seeing how far the arrow would go and how close could we get close to the birds. Not to mention we were also young and stupid and should have been shot ourselves for that stunt.

Anyhow the goose tasted OK and both our parents were ****ed beyond belief at us.

There's my long range bow hunting story, probably not what you were hoping for, but welcome to the board.

Silvertip-co, welcome.

We are about to make some changes, hours to a day or two from now. The changes will make you happy. Stick around. More hunting stories with pictures. Fewer cases of the wrong topics being placed in the "hunting" forum. Maybe even a photo gallery. Don't tell anyone about that last item. It's a secret.

Len,

What are we goint to do about buffalobob? you know, blaming you like that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am going to put him in charge of moving the mis-placed posts to the right forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks for all the considerate answers. I was thinking maybe a forum section called "Pics" , not that I havve any to post. As a luckless hunter I enjoy others stories and esp if accompanied by fotos. This is a great nice place, I'll surely stay.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.