Krylon Camo Paint Job

USMC03Grunt

I was planning on painting my 10FP some sort of camo pattern, but had never painted a gun before. That being said, what I did was sort of practice on my AR-15 and then went at the 10FP while keeping the colors much lighter.

For your information, I used Krylon Ultra Flat Camouflage paint in khaki, OD, and brown. The materials I used to get the various patterns and whatnot were a combination of tall grasses, pine boughs, leaves, and a small bit of sponging.

My first coat was a heavy base of khaki, followed by using brown with the burlap different distances to get different textures. I followed that with just a little bit of green since it goes a very long way. Finally, I sprayed everything down with a coat of Flat Clear to sort of seal everything and protect the camo. Here's a couple posts to show how it all worked out. And, for the record, the AR's paint job has held tremendously, and that's after putting 400 rounds through it in about an hour and a half a couple weeks ago.

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

I only use it for close range work-- namely CQB training. With that, Im just experimenting around with the irons and seeing where I like them the most. I've used some reflex sights in the past on that AR and wanted to see if the target acquisition and engagement was any quicker with them farther up like that.

And don't worry about not having the "balls" to paint a weapon in this fashion. The stuff can come right off if you really want it to. I'd highly recommend it.

USMC03Grunt - I recall that you wanted to post your pics in this forum because you were looking for some specific feedback. Can't recall what you were looking for though. Can you fresh my memory?

USMC03Grunt - I recall that you wanted to post your pics in this forum because you were looking for some specific feedback. Can't recall what you were looking for though. Can you fresh my memory?

I was just looking to see what people thought of the process I took the gun through, the pattern, etc.

Also, I was curious to see other Krylon jobs as well.

I was just looking to see what people thought of the process I took the gun through, the pattern, etc.

Also, I was curious to see other Krylon jobs as well.

aaahhhh....

Here's my krylon job....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

It's just one color. I had intended to add some other colors but could never get the second color to go on right. I I just stuck with the one color. I'm giving some consideration to stripping it down to bare metal and black stock.

I was surprised to see that you painted yours and then took it shooting a day or two later. It took some time for the paint on mine to cure. First time I cleaned the bore, some of the solvent dripped and it stripped the paint off of the bottom of the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.