Knoxx CompStock, is it BS? VERDICT PAGE 2.

Stevewix

I just ordered one of these for my upcoming .338 Edge build, has anyone tried one? I'm skeptical to say the least, I figure it will throw off accuracy at least by a small amount due to the extra movement. Anyhow does anyone on here have one? I'm trying to avoid using a brake, I had one on a rifle when I shot an elk while I was perched on a rock with a BIG rock immediatley to my left. It only takes once to learn a lesson like that. The videos on their website are sure convincing...

Last edited:
Had one!

I trade/bought a 246 win mag with one. Needless to say I have a Joel Russo A5l now and could not be happier/
Pros--Reduced felt recoil by a bunch.

Cons.
Way to hard to hold consistent from shot to shot.
The scope comes back really close to the eye if you know what i mean. If you do not have a large eye relief, get used to ducking the scope.
I felt like the gun was moving all over the place, way to much movement. Lost the target on recoil.

I would not recommend it-but that's just my opinion, it must work for some people or they wouldn't be selling them.

I just ordered one of these for my upcoming .338 Edge build, has anyone tried one? I'm skeptical to say the least, I figure it will throw off accuracy at least by a small amount due to the extra movement. Anyhow does anyone on here have one? I'm trying to avoid using a brake, I had one on a rifle when I shot an elk while I was perched on a rock with a BIG rock immediatley to my left. It only takes once to learn a lesson like that. The videos on their website are sure convincing...

I have not tried 1 but have looked at them closely and figure it would be nearly impossible to make it into a truly accurate rifle, in a heavy hitting caliber I would think getting scoped in the eye would be a real concern.
If it is for recoil reduction, rather than a brake, why not use a mercury recoil suppressor like C&H makes that is imbedded inside the rifles stock?
They reduce recoil about 35% and only add a few ounces in weight.

I have not tried 1 but have looked at them closely and figure it would be nearly impossible to make it into a truly accurate rifle, in a heavy hitting caliber I would think getting scoped in the eye would be a real concern.
If it is for recoil reduction, rather than a brake, why not use a mercury recoil suppressor like C&H makes that is imbedded inside the rifles stock?
They reduce recoil about 35% and only add a few ounces in weight.
I've never tried that before, I've always wondered what a leaking mercury capsule would do to an expensive stock. I'm not recoil sensitive btw. If it sucks, I'll take it off :)

I've never tried that before, I've always wondered what a leaking mercury capsule would do to an expensive stock. I'm not recoil sensitive btw. If it sucks, I'll take it off :)

I have never had or heard of a suppressor leaking, but agree to have mercury in anything is always a concern, being nasty stuff by nature we now have found. Funny thing is 50 years ago we used to play with the stuff and never was concerned, but now.......
If you do use a Knoxx PLEASE let us know how you make out.

I have installed the M4 style adjstable LOP on several tactical shot guns that they work very well at recucing recoil , I can't say about the rilfe models but its the same desgine. I don't think that it moves enough to have the scope catch you anymore than it would without it. If I were gonna build a hard kicking un that was to be shot often and wasen't allowed to use a brake I'd try one.

But a prpoperly made contured and fitted wood stock with a good pad will recuce recoil ALOT , that and a god brake is had to beat.

As a side note I don not use one on my personal tactical shotgun ,I have ashort Speedfeed with a ground to fit Pachmeyer. I don't shoot the gun more than 15-20 times and it s not that often , the Speedfeed stock fits me better and is very strong that why I went that route

I was considering one of them for my Edge build too,but decided to go with a Manners and the new Wyatt's magazine system.It would be interesting to hear back how long of a cartridge that stock's magazine area will take.

Why don't you just get a regular stock and then install a Gra-Coil or RAD system like on shotguns? Thats what I'm planning to do eventually.

Why not just use a standard conventional stock, get a Defensive Edge 4 port brake installed and try to live with 60% reduction in felt recoil?????

There is no better shape for a wheel then round, likewise, there is no better way to reduce recoil then with a quality muzzle brake, that or 20 lbs of rifle weight added to the rifle.

I am not a believer in techno stocks or mercury reducers. In my opinion, I have tested some mercury reducers and they helped no better then adding the same amount of weight in lead to the rifle. Yes they make the recoil feel different but its not that dramatic. Its nothing like a quality brake will do.

Many complain about the noise, I have never heard anything with my braked rifles shooting at big game and for all other times I shot, I have hearing protection on.

Again, no need to reinvent the wheel.

JMO,

Kirby Allen(50)

A brake will be in order here. I just got back from shooting this new stock, on my old beater .300 Winchester Mag. Mind you, it's my beater gun and I've long since borrowed the brand new 6-18x Leupold to a more deserving gun. I figured to get remotely close to a heavier .338 Edge I'd need the lightest gun I could get my hands on. The plus side, is without a scope this gun is light. ~7 lbs. The downside is i didn't get a chance to test eye relief, since there wasn't a scope. (based on today's experience, probably not an issue anyway. 1.5" travel. I figure one's shoulder to move almost as much on a non-recoil suppressed rifle)

That said, I chambered a 208gr A-Max, same handload I use in my Sendero. Roughly 2800fps from a 26" barrel. I touch my cheek to the stock, basically sight down the barrel, (mind you, I'm expecting a gyration of pitch i.e. muzzle rise and fall) and the gun recoils straight back, and straight forward in a relatively smooth motion and is surprisingly controllable. Remember when I pushed my cheek into the comb? I about got my face pulled off by the Overmolded rubber comb that first grabbed my skin, then my cheekbone and accelerated it backwards, (i'm no physicist but F=MA!!) total movement, about 1.5".

Which brings me to my conclusion. The mystery of WHY it works is over. The big ugly plastic thing on the end is nothing more than the other end of a spring loaded mechanism that travels parallel to the axis of the comb of the stock. Nothing fancy, just back roughly 1.5" and forward 1.5". With the gun shouldered i can move the mechanism with my hands against my shoulder.

When i used to shoot this gun with a factory stock (with hard factory remington recoil pad), after ~20 rounds i'd develop a strawberry and a flinch. My calculated shoulder tells me that recoil from this gun is slightly stronger than my .22-250. probably somewhere in the .243 range. There was very minimal muzzle rise, which I instantly noticed. Once the stock extended back to it's original location before the shot, i was back on target (more-so than how it would be with a normal lightweight .300 Win Mag. anyhow, due to the near-complete lack of muzzle rise.)

In retrospect, I won't be using this stock. for someone willing to trade not putting their face on the stock to sight down the gun, it would be a great buy. Resting my cheekbone on the comb is something i've always done, and consider necessary to any accuracy minded shooter of any discipline. Take this for what it's worth, just because it isn't for me doesn't mean it doesn't have an application somewhere.I'm sure someone recoil sensitive for a medical reason would benefit from it though, no joke, it felt something like a small varmint rifle. Does it work for what they said it would? yes.

I know where there's a nearly untouched Compstock for sale if anybody needs one.

Last edited:
Why not just use a standard conventional stock, get a Defensive Edge 4 port brake installed and try to live with 60% reduction in felt recoil?????

There is no better shape for a wheel then round, likewise, there is no better way to reduce recoil then with a quality muzzle brake, that or 20 lbs of rifle weight added to the rifle.

I am not a believer in techno stocks or mercury reducers. In my opinion, I have tested some mercury reducers and they helped no better then adding the same amount of weight in lead to the rifle. Yes they make the recoil feel different but its not that dramatic. Its nothing like a quality brake will do.

Many complain about the noise, I have never heard anything with my braked rifles shooting at big game and for all other times I shot, I have hearing protection on.

Again, no need to reinvent the wheel.

JMO,

Kirby Allen(50)

Oh, come on Kirby, we all want something for nothing!:D

I'm considering one for F class, where most places won't allow you to shoot with a compensator.

Bill

Brake install job pretty cheap compared to a new stock...but **** that things loud! I walk around house and shop saying...HUH? I went to plugs and muffs and usually dont pull my plugs....kinda nice dont hear 1/2 the BS! nice in quite! or what anyone says to me!

I did tell 50 he sold me short on recoil...first brake I ever had.....LOVE IT! Even let the girls and a 10 year old bust one outa the 270AM not a flinch form any of em!

ANd then I get to watch my buddy with his 7RUM lightwieght mountain rifle....no brake he sure does take a whoppin!

koxx revisited

The recoil reduction device in knoxx stocks is installed in a hogue overmolded stock. It is eminently removeable, and could be retrofitted to a more comfortable synthetic of your choice, eliminating the grippiness of the overmolded rubber cheek grabbing ouch.

Thinking long and hard about it, I really think this could make for a very sweet lightweight but heavy hitting type rifle. Thinking something big and harsh like one of the super .338's, with a vias or gentry brake, giving decent recoil reduction and less noise than most others, and a knoxx system in the stock, making for a pussycat to shoot, even as light as you could possibly build it.

I know nothing of the Knoxx stocks from practical experience, but have been using brakes and mercury recoil reducers for years.
Interesting thing I found when using a mercury recoil reducer AND a muzzle brake is that they seem to cancel out each others effect.
I learned this with my sons 300 win mag. I built the rifle with a brake on it for him, after shooting if thought I would be a nice Dad and see if I could reduce the already mild recoil a bit more so installed a CH Mercury reducer in the stock, the recoil increased noticeably.
Not sure if this would do the same with the Knoxx stock and a brake or not, but would be interesting to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.