Knee Pads

Lpart

I am trying to adjust to a new artificial knee and due to the aging process just generally find my knees are very sensitve with the ground. I am thinking a pair of knee pads may help. My friend as a pair of Altas which I don't care for. Looking for recommendations for something comfortable and that will stay in place without m moving around. Can anyone give me some advice? I have been looking at Acerteryx Knee Caps online.

Have you considered a dense foam cushion like the ones you sit on, or the type a
gardener would use? We find a pc of rubber backed carpet also works well for kneeling
next to our shooting bench.

My knees seem to have gotten sensitive also and occasionally I have to crawl around on concrete while troubleshooting floor scales. I recently found a pair of what I think are military knee pads, Army or Marine Corps, not sure but they protect my knees totally.
I can go all day if needed without pain. They have good padding and fasten above and below the knee cap and stay in place. The only problem, if you can call it that, is that they make my knees and pants in that area sweat, but I sweat a lot anyway.
Ironically, I found them in a gun shop that had surplus military items in tubs for sale. Best knee pads I've ever used and well worth the $20 I spent. Good luck in your search. JohnnyK.

I always buy the gel type knee pads. Home Depot carries a girlie blue colored pair that I've never strayed from. Think the brand is Dead On.

My knees seem to have gotten sensitive also and occasionally I have to crawl around on concrete while troubleshooting floor scales. I recently found a pair of what I think are military knee pads, Army or Marine Corps, not sure but they protect my knees totally.
I can go all day if needed without pain. They have good padding and fasten above and below the knee cap and stay in place. The only problem, if you can call it that, is that they make my knees and pants in that area sweat, but I sweat a lot anyway.
Ironically, I found them in a gun shop that had surplus military items in tubs for sale. Best knee pads I've ever used and well worth the $20 I spent. Good luck in your search. JohnnyK.

The issued knee-bow pads are pretty tuff and offer good protection. However if you are walking for any distance they slip down, that's why you see Soldiers with them down by their ankles.:rolleyes: Just take a short halt to adjust them before needed. They do issue the combat pants with them built is (google G3 combat pants to get the idea). Or ACU pants have a foam insert that can go into the knees/elbow area for a little added protection.
If you don't want to walk around in mil camo pants Duluth makes a knee pad that inserts into some of their pants. I've been eyeballing them for hiking/hunting. It's just hard for me to find pants that fit my legs and not be 4-6 inches too big in the waist. I need to try them on first so buying off the internet is a no-go.

I use the Sitka Timberline Pant with the removable knee pads. Really nice when kneeling on hard or cold damp ground.
I have some of these as well. I have some bony chips between my knee caps and the skin and it feels like needles being driven into my knee caps if I put any sort of pressure on them "down on my knees".

The Sitka pants with the built in knee pads are a godsend.

Nike Hyperstrong Knee Sleeve.

My Dad went through the same operation. He wears his daily. I wear them every day for hunting season. They feel good on, and don't slide. They also help support the knee. My 55 yr old knees hurt less when wearing them. Good luck.

I just purchased a bunch of Army camo pants for my buddies and myself at the thrift store at the local Army Base that have the knee pad sleeve for inserting cut-to-size closed cell foam. 2 or 3$ a pair as I remember. Nice thing about this system is you can even wash them without pulling out the inserts.

I bought some similar to those at the local Trustworthy Hardware for ~$9.00. But mine will slip down over extended use. I didn't wear them all the time when hiking this past sheep season. If we shoot an animal, I do wear them while skinning and field dressing the animal. I might wear them with a heavy pack on the way back out in case I stumble to protect my knees. The hard plastic shell is very nice when kneeling on the rocks. I may look to improve the two straps on mine by spending another $5-$10.

They're very light. They do consume a little room in the pack, but not too bad because they'll stack like pancakes for storage.

My partner purchased the Sitka pants with the knee pads in them. He liked them so well that I went cheap and bought the Trustworthy version when I happened across them while shopping for some synthetic hiking gloves.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.