Kirby's Scope Choices?

Hired Gun

Kirby\'s Scope Choices?

Kirby,
Just got done reading your latest hunting results and started reflecting back on some more that you have written about shooting long range targets and game. I respectfully have a couple questions for you.

What are you using for glass on your personal 257AM? If cost was no object would you still use it?

Considering the following calibers loaded to their potentials (257Wby, 7mm Rem Mag, 300Wby) what do you think of Leupolds 4.5-14x40 for long range big game work. Long range for me is on out to 1000 yards.

For busting rocks and varmints on out to 2000 yards, what do you consider a minimum magnification?

Thanks for your time.
Shawn

Re: Kirby\'s Scope Choices?

Hired Gun,

All of my Allen Magnums, 257 AM, 270 AM and 7mm AM, all wear the Weaver Tactical 4.5-14 mil-dot scopes with the first focal plane reticle systems.

They do not have the greatest vertical adjustment range but they do offer the FFP system which I feel is a god sent for the long range big game hunter that wants to use his rifle from ranges from the muzzle to 1000 yards.

For the money they are extremely clear, very bright and very accurate and consistant. In my opinion the best scope that Weaver has ever made including their very high quality target scopes.

Unfortunately the minds in control decided to discontinue this fine scope so what is out there is all we will have of this scope, pitty in my opinion!!

If money was no object I would have a Nightforce NXS on all three rifles, probably the 3.5-15x 50mm with the NP-R2 reticle. Still, I would much prefer a scope with the FFP system and wish NF would use this in their scopes. If they did I would say they would gain even more status as the best scope out there for long range shooting.

Another very interesting option I am waiting with great anticipation on is Leupolds Mk4 3.5-10x 40mm with the TMR reticle and the FFP system. They are catalog items currently but I have not been able to get access to one yet. This scope may become my replacement for my preferred Weaver Tacticals for my big game rifles.

I personally shoot off 10x for the vast majority of my big game hunting. Even out to 800-1000 yards on game the size of yotes and up. Many want more power but I have found this to be plenty with a quality scope. I just prefer the larger field of view when spotting my own shots.

For this reason, the 3.5-10x Mk4 would serve my needs very well for big game hunting.

STill, if they made one in 4.5-14, I would pick that power range over the 3.5-10 just for its added versitility at even longer ranges or on smaller targets.

The Leupold Long Range 4.5-14 is a great scope as is the Mk4 version of the same power. I would not say they are on equal levels to the NF scopes but for for 99% of the shooting we do, I would doubt they would be differnet enough to really make a difference in the field. In extreme low light conditions, the NF would have a slight advantage and the NF does have a significant advantage in vertical adjustment ranges as well but the Leupold scopes would allow some serious long range work.

For varminting and plinking at 2K, I personally feel that 20x is a good minimum but actually it is also a good general use power for this range.

I tested one of the Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x 50mm TMR scopes out on my 270 AM out to 2100 yards and it was plenty for targeting rocks that were 20" in diameter. The rifle and scope were both much more consistant at that range then I would have ever expected them to be as well.

Higher power scopes are great for this extreme range shooting but when the mirage gets soupy, generally, 20-25x is about all you can use anyway and when things really start dancing, 15x is often the most you can use.

Don;t get carried away with extreme high powered optics. Always remember quality first. If you have a high quality scope, 20-22x is plenty for shooting out to 2K. If you have a poor quality or mid quality 32x, you still will not get the performance you want at this range.

Just my opinion on what my eyes like!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Re: Kirby\'s Scope Choices?

kirby, do you know if anyone can install mil. turrets in the weavers or even leupolds instead of moa adjustments?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.