kirby....

remingtonman_25_06

What kinda cartridges can I rebarrel my 300 RUM receiver to?? Can I go to a WSM family, or just say a 300 WM, what about your AX cartridges? I am looking for an efficient cartridge that will do what I want. 2000 rounds barrel life, elk killer to 800 at most, 1000 for targets and deer and coyotes. I dont want to burn more then about 75g's of powder. I also have a 700 in a 270 that could be redone, but its a blued action, I would rather have a stainless action for an all around rig.

Rem Man '06,

Sounds like you need a 280 AI. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
62.0 grs RL22 and the Nosler 160 gr AB will give you the power you need and the long barrel life you desire.
If it were me, I would keep the 300 RUM for the big/long range applications. I would pick up a beater M700 action in SS and have Kirby build up a custom to your specifications.
Just my 2 cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JD338

Well see thats the thing, I kinda wanna get away from such a big cartridge. At first I thought they were all cool and such, but for as much as I shoot, there to expensive and for 95% of the shots, a smaller cartridge will do it just as good. I would like to get rid of my 300 rum and get a win mag instead if I could. Maybe even a 7mm rem mag. 7mm or 300 wsm have interest as well. Also a 6.5-06 AI and a 280 AI have interest. All shooting heavy VLD bullets. Rifle will be mainly for target shooting at rocks and paper out to 1200 yards, and coyote and deer hunting out to 1000. Maybe once every 10 years will I hunt elk now, so I still want the rifle to be fully capable of taking a big bull elk at 800 yards, but thats not what its going to be mainly hunting for. I get deer tags every year, and rocks and coyotes are no shortage around here to however distance. Cartridge would also have to take down a black bear out to 800 yards as well. Basically, I am wanting to get out away from my ultra mag. I want a regular mag or a standard cartridge improved to get mag performance while burning less powder.

The WSMs would be a good choice...belted mags not so good....the RUM actions have the ffed lips opened up to feed the fatter RUM cases and to go to a belted mag would require a HS or some other type of center feed box.

Rem,

I would also recommend against the belted magnum for the same reasons Chris mentioned. Sometimes the RUM receivers will still function with a standard belted mag case but its not the best situation. If you want to do this I would also agree on just replacing the factory mag box with a center feed HS DM system, problem solved.

My Allen Xpress round are on the same case capacity scale as the STW rounds or any other full length belted magnum round so they may still be larger then you are wanting for your project.

Barrel life will also be shorter then you are looking for except for maybe the 270 AX. It may offer 2000 rounds of barrel life if it is really babied but I would say that would be stretching it.

From what you discribe, I would say you would be hard pressed to beat something like a 270 wsm or 7mm wsm. Around a 70 gr powder capacity, plenty of velocity and BC for long range shooting but also several quality lighter weight bullets if wanted for lighter game.

As far as a bull elk at 800 yards, both would do it with a properly placed shot but personally I feel this is pushing these two rounds pretty hard.

Black bear, thats a different story. Black bears are no harder to kill then your typical mature whitetail or mule deer. In fact I would say a big whitetail in full rut is harder to put down so both of these would be plenty potent for this size of game.

I would recommend a 270 WSM be set up to shoot the heavy Wildcat Bullets. The 169.5 gr ULD RBBT gives this round fr more long range potential then you would ever think it should have. Even with a twist required for this bullet you could still shoot all the Ballistic Tips and Accubonds as well.

The receiver would need a bit of work, a spacer in the mag box would be a good idea and the bolt face would need to be opened slightly in some cases as the WSM head is slightly larger then the RUM. Some do not need this but as soon as you way this you run into one that does.

These would be my choices for the list of goals you list for this rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for making it clear. I like the idea of the WSM's as well. I was hoping I could take advantage of the longer magazine box and seat the target bullets far out and also be able to use it as a repearter. I would like to put a 26" barrel on it, so what do you think the velocity with the 169.5g uld would be?? What is a ballpark BC number? I would like to know so I can start calculating some numbers. I also like the idea of the 7 wsm shooting the 180g vld, maybe even the 200g wildcat? WHat would velocity be like with those bullets out of a 26" tube? Just curious as to why you dont mention the 300 wsm? I would think that with a 190g vld or maybe even the 210 with a 26" barrel would be decent as well. Ahh, so many choices and combos, and trying to pick one for pretty much everything is tough. Thanks in advance.

I would personally go w/the 7 WSM. Then you would not be totally dependant on the 169.5 WC for a high bc bullet. There are many high bc 7 mm bullets that are readily available for the lighter game and the 160 gr accubond will work great on elk out to 600 or so.

Thats what I was almost thinking to. A lot more target bulelts to choose from. But I wanna know the BC of that 169g bullet!!! I was also thinking the 7mm just because it is larger, and for elk and bears, although not its main purpose, would be better suited at longer ranges.

Whatever you do, think this deal through and get exactly what you want. Who cares what everyone else thinks. They are not going to be shooting it!!

[ QUOTE ]
I would personally go w/the 7 WSM. Then you would not be totally dependant on the 169.5 WC for a high bc bullet. There are many high bc 7 mm bullets that are readily available for the lighter game and the 160 gr accubond will work great on elk out to 600 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts