Kirby

Mayhem338

Hi Kirby,
I have been reading about your Allen Mags for the past couple months and am very impressed! I have also heard you mention the 338 Kahn. I have a 338-378 that will need a new barrel in 400-500 rounds and would love any info on this cal. Thanks for your time and all the wonderful info on here.
Michael S Keith

Michael,

First off welcome to LRH!!!

The 338 Kahn is simply a 338-378 Wby with a conventional 35 degree shoulder instead of the double radiused Wby shoulder.

The shoulder is also slightly moved forward to allow the factory 338-378 brass to chamber easily for fireforming which is done with any starting load for the 338-378.

I say starting load because the throat length on my reamer is set up quite short but I have a custom throater to length the throat to any bullet you want to use.

Capacity is roughly 6 to 8 grains more then the parent case. Accuracy is great with this round holding groups in the 1/2 to 3/4 moa range out to one mile in a heavy rifle using the 300 gr bullets.

IT takes no modifications to the receiver to convert to the Kahn and Redding makes the dies for them and actually had the last three Full Length sizing dies in stock ready to ship on order if you can believe it!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the response so quick. What kind of vel are you getting out of the Kahn? Do you have any experiance with Rock Creek barrels? I am also wondering what yo charge for a rebarrel and camber as well as a good brake? I am wanting a 1.25" strait tube@ 30" + brake. I have a McMillian MCRT action. Thanks for your time once again.
Michael

Michael,

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will get you all the specific pricing information you are looking for.

I get around 3050 fps in a 34" Lilja barrel but I do not push the round really hard. This is with a 300 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullet.

I do not have any hands on experience with the Rock Creek barrels as I generally use Liljas for all my rifles unless my customers want some other brand. Again, you are the boss, I do what I am told.

The McMillan is a good action for this round. Drop me an e-mail and lets talk this over a bit more.

As far as a brake goes, I would recommend a Holland. I will get you more information back in the e-mail.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I'll help Kirby out on this one- Rock Creek makes one of the best 338 barrels there is- I have built several 338 Lapuas on Mike's barrels and they flat out shoot and will give you a boost of velocity over conventional barrels....

Thanks Chris I am thinking of having a Real long range gun built on my McMillan. The Rock barrels offer so many twist rates.
Regards,
Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.