Kirby Allen builds

freebird63

As far as the 30 cal guns, what versions do Kirby build??
Is it a 300 Allen mag, 300 Allen express, 300 Allen Improved. How would which ever version Kirby builds be better then a 300RUM???
My barrel is shot on my 300RUM and at first was thinking about jumping up to a 330 edge, but am thinking money wise if it would be better to just have him re-chamerber/re-barrel and true up the action on my sendero. Hope all this makes sense.

These are what Im aware of. Email Kirby for more accurate info.

300 Allen Xpress
338 Lapua Magnum parent case, necked to 30 cal and fireformed to the Allen Magnum shoulder and body configuration.
180 gr. (3450 to 3550 fps in 27-30" barrel) to 265 gr. ULD RBBT(3000-3100 fps in 27-30" barrel)
Designed for medium to heavy game at long range, deer, elk and moose specifically
Appropriate powders: H-1000, Retumbo, Rl-25, US869

Think the 300 AM is underdevelopment but needs better bullets to come out that will hold up to the speed it pushes them.

300 Allen Magnum
408 Cheyenne Tactical, necked down to 30 cal and fireformed to Allen Magnum shoulder and body configuration.
Three versions in testing, Full length 3.050" case length, 2.800" and 2.650" case length.
Shortest case length will offer case capacity roughly 15 grains larger then 30-378 Wby.
Projected bullets to be used: 265 and 290 gr. ULD RBBT
Performance estimations: 265 gr. none yet, 290 gr. 3250 fps in 32" barrel.
Design purpose: Long range big game hunting

Hope this helps a little .

Dan

Believe Kirby doesn't work with a remington 700 any more. But even if he did, the RUM is the biggest diameter case he recommends for the 700. Not enough steel there for the bigger diameter case of many of his 308 cartridges.

The 300 RUM or 338 RUM or the 338 Edge are all well adapted. For the first two factory cases are in place and the Edge is just the 300 RUM necked up to 338. Good load data available for all. I'd go one of the 338s off a RUM if you want a long range rig for elk size game.

As far as the 30 cal guns, what versions do Kirby build??
Is it a 300 Allen mag, 300 Allen express, 300 Allen Improved. How would which ever version Kirby builds be better then a 300RUM???
My barrel is shot on my 300RUM and at first was thinking about jumping up to a 330 edge, but am thinking money wise if it would be better to just have him re-chamerber/re-barrel and true up the action on my sendero. Hope all this makes sense.

The cheapest thing to do is have him rechamber your exisiting barrel to "renew" your throat. Have someone take a borescope to it and make sure your current bbl is really shot out.

The next thing, which would be my choice, would be to replace the whole barrel with whichever brand suits you and blueprint the action.

Since you are thinking money wise, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to go with a wildcat because that means new brass, fireforming it, new dies, possibly new powders to try, etc.

Caliber choices are all personal preference. I have a 300 RUM and there's not a warm blooded animal that I have on my list to kill that will survive the big bullets I push from it. So for me personally, I don't need anything bigger than the cannon I shoot now.

I have emailed Kirby, he is a busy man. But I also wanted to get those of you on the board with experience of his work, I wanted you opinions. I find that I am still learning about the long range game. Am sure even with a better longer barrel even if i stayed with the ultra mag it would still be better then the stock sendero. I would love to have it re-chambered to a 338 edge, Kirby has already quoted me a price on that one. So many guns I want and no money to buy them, I hate it when that happens.

A 338 Edge would be a great choice! Or, you could sell your rig and build a 375 AllenMag...

P8030109.jpg

Your going to love this one cinch, that picture is my wallpaper on my computer, I dream of one day owning a work of art such as that.

cinch,

If's just not right for you to have posted a pic of such a rig. From the looks of it, all bullet energy will be lost due to pressure reduction caused by those 10 big holes in that weird lookin' brake. The barrel looks long enough to require a goose neck trailer to haul it. Oh, and the paint job. If you ever took more than 10 steps away from it in the woods you'd need a metal detector to find it! Look at those flutes. In a rain storm they most probably act like rain gutters. Sheese! I suppose you're gonna tell me that Kirby built that thing!

Now that you're all ****ed off:D

I'll tell you that all that is remaining for Kirby to do on mine is machine the brake , same model as yours, and put the pieces together.

I'm really looking forward to the honeymoon with that suckergun)

freebird63,

While the 300 RUM is tough to beat, rifling twist and bullet weights get to be a consideration. Also when souped up a bit it's barrel burning tendencies increase considerably.

I've been shooting a 338 RUM w/300 Hybrids and SMKs out two 1200 yards. Its a simple straight forward REM 700 LH (not trued) with a single shot follower glued in. And a tupperware stock. The only thing out of the ordinary is the Holland recoil lug and QD Brake. The only think Kirby has had to do with it was sell me the new 338 RUM sporter weight barrel for 40 bucks.

Velocity is a bit short of an Edge (100-150 FPS slower) but better than 2700. If it didn't shoot so very very well with such great consistency I'd consider an 28" heavy fluted barrel.

I flat lucked out on it being a shooter. If you want to guarantee a shooter then get Kirby to work it from the get go.

I have a 270 AM from Kirby on a 721 Rem action which still exceeds his 1/2 moa accuracy goal for many more shots than it should have.

The 375 AM from the ground up custom is quite a chunk of change and with the limited selection of reasonably priced bullets (350 SMK) it won't get you any further than a 338 AM. The 338 AX is something to think about also. The cartridge that would make the most sense, all things considered, would be the Edge.

The Edge because it is a wildcat, which forces one to have to go to a gunsmith to put it together. The gunsmith is THE key. Most if not all of the smiths who hang around here could make a turd shot with scary accuracy.:D

I'm sure that which ever direction you decide to go will be a good one.

Just recently found out that Idaho has a weight limit on hunting guns, your total weight cannot excede 16lbs. Don't know how much that gun cinch has weighs??
Am sure I will be better prepared for next years hunting season.

freebird63,

It takes a special build to get one of those things under the 16# limit fully dressed. An NXS or other heavy scope makes it even tougher.

That is why I suggest just stepping up what you already have to work with.

Kirby has no problem making one of his AMs come in under 16s though. I think that he has a version of his Raptor action (which by the way is a better deal than a trued Remmy 700) and a specially designed Lilja barrel.

I've found that when configured properly the rifle doesn't need "all that" weight to be LR effective.

My 270 AM @ 12# is like shooting a 22LR. It just twitches at the shot. The 338 RUM I mentioned shooting the 300gr bullet at just over 2700 does a bit more than twitch but I can spot my shots from a prone position from 100yds on out.

The difference in rig weight raises its ugly head in the field where one is not always shooting from a putting green.:rolleyes: From a hide this is no problem as I groom the surface. When doing walk and stalk it takes a little more care with the shooting spot. Nature is not always convenient but a little care goes a long way.

BTW, I ignored the 16# limit for my build. If I really want to meet that requirement I can have changes made later.

I'm a 338 fan, so no real comment on the 30 cal options..... but as far as Kirby is concerned, you cannot go wrong having him build whatever you decide on. Kirby has built 2 338Kahn's for me and and a 510 Allen Mag. I'm in the process of working out the details on 338AM on his new Raptor action as well. Save your pennies, get Kirby to build your rifle, you won't be sorry!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.