Kimber Rifles in WSM

tothl

Hi Folks,

I would like to hear the good and bad about Kimber rifles, especially chambered for the WSM. I have read a lot of good reviews in magazines, but I would like to hear more from unbiased users in the real world.

Kimber advertises very accurate rifles out of the box with match grade barrels. Who actually makes their barrels and are they really as accurate as they say.

Does anybody own a Kimber and a Tikka or Sako that can give a comparison in terms of accuracey.

Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vic

...accuracy is more correctly stated as "potential accuracy"... match grade barrel means almost nothing...call and ask how close the chamber specs are to "minimum saami"... also, consider the claw extractor vs plunger etc... Kimber competes very closely with Cooper & Sako in the same price range... they all have their compromises in order to stay competitive... all in all, in a light weight magnum (low volume) rifle, just pick something you like, after you give yourself a "cooling off" period spent reading other than magazine reviews (good source of information but not "evaluation")... hope this helps, Larry

Vic ,
Have a look at www.shortmags.org .
According to a recent post on that forum the Kimbers have not been available up to now in WSM calibres .
I know they're being advertised .
Have seen a few posts about the Tikka T3 and everyone seems very impressed with their accuracy . Sako owns Tikka and they use the same barrels . Not sure whether the Sako WSM's are available in the U.S. yet?
They're not in Oz yet .
I've got a Model 70 featherweight in 7mm WSM that I would say is very average in terms of accuracy and finish .
Have had a Rem. 700 VSSF and Model 70 that have both been disappointing compared to my Sako . Kimbers might be better but I'm done with the other 2 .

The Kimber short mags are showing up regularly here in Montana, but I don't know anyone that has shot one yet. Scheel's in Great Falls has a 300WSM with beautiful wood on it. Mike

A friend of mine has a Kimber 84 Classic in 308 Winchester. It is a very accurate out of the box rifle especially for its weight (around 6 pounds without scope). Shoots 165 - 168 grain bullets at 2850 with sub MOA groups.

Match grade barrel shows up when cleaning. A couple of patches gets most everything out.

If their WSM's are anything like the 308 I have seen they will be very nice rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.