Kimber Montana 300 WSM or Sako A7 Big Game 300 WinMag?

castafly

I'm looking for a quality rifle for long range shooting/hunting and North American big game hunting. Locally I've found a Sako A7 Big Game rifle in 300 WinMag at Cabela's, and a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM at a gun shop. They are comparably priced, so that's not a deciding factor. I'm more of a small caliber guy at the current time, so I was hoping you all could shed some light on pluses and minuses of these two guns and their respective calibers. The price point on these guns (~$1,000) is about my max budget. Which gun would you recommend? Or is there another, comparably priced gun you'd recommend? Thanks in advance!

Either one would make a good hunting gun. The two cartridges are about even. The WSM would be slightly slower but not enough that you would notice. I like the WSM brass because it is heavy and doesn't have a belt. I also like the WSM because I believe they are easier to tune and get to shoot good. The WIN will give you slightly more velocity. Out to 1000 yards there wouldn't be much difference. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.