Kimber Montana...... .300 WM

Nikolakangrga

Iam a new member to this forum. I have never really gone out and seriously attempted to make 1000 yard shots, although must admit, it has been a goal of mine for a long time and have decided to step up and learn!

Well, after speaking with a few friends, I've decided to build my rifle off of a rem 700 action. Next month, my GF is purchasing a Kimber Montana .300 WM as a all around hunting rifle for a birthday gift to me. What is the Kimber montana capable of shooting out to 700-1000 yards?

Thanks guys!
Nick-

Nick,
The Kimber is just a rifle. It can't do anything. Since you don't know me and can't hear my tone, that's supposed to be dry humor. I'm seeing two questions here. First, what's the 300win cabable of. Second, how would we rate the performance potential of the Kimber.

1. I would use the 300 win mag to take any large game (excepting dangerous) out to around 1500 yards. Your skills and abilities are and always will be the most limiting factor. I have personally taken elk to 1200 yards with the 300win.

2. As for the Montana, my knowledge is limited. I have only handled a few and have never had one apart. My understanding is, aside from aesthetics, you are dealing with the equivelant of any factory rifle (upper end factory rifle, if you please). This means a proper bedding job, tuned trigger, and load work should get you to at least a one MOA rifle, perhaps better. You may get lucky and get better, you may not.

So, the Kimber in a 300 win from 700 - 1000 yards? Pretty much capable of killing any game animal you might hunt with it. What you need friend is education.

I may not have asked my questions clearly....

Iam well aware of what the .300 WM is capable of. My question is, what is the kimber montana capable of? (for those of you who own or have experience with them)

I've done quite a bit of research on them, and from what I've gathered, the Kimber Montana comes from the factory, bedded, custom tuned trigger, along with many other things. So I was curious what kind of groups at 100 yards this rifle is capable of.

As for needing a education in the world of "long range shooting", I could not agree with you more. Iam a Bowhunter. So I've worked my whole life learning to spot and stalk within 15-30 yards of game. Squeezing off the shot at 500-800 yards is the other side of the world for me!

Nick-

I own a Kimber 300 WSM. I haven't shot it much and not past 400 yds. It shoots sub MOA w/ factory ammo. I haven't worked up loads and haven't shot it much but it is a nice rifle to carry. BD

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts