Kimber Hunting

I love mine, Kimber 8400 270WSM.

I use mine for a carry rifle as it is light. It has the desirable three position safety and controlled round feed. No short stroking or double feed pop ups. The lightweight barrel is typically 1.25moa with most loads and has pet loads that go under moa(165 Matrix with a pile of RL33).

Mine is a KIMBER Montana 8400 300 WSM

I call it the Old Man, Weighs around 7 1/4 lb. with nylon sling, Leopold 2X8 and 4 shells.
This rifle likes 180 gr. Jacket-Core bullets. Sierra best, then Hornady and Nosler Part. and IMR 4350 powder, 1"and less. Shoots 150 Gr. 165 Jacket-Cole
bullets 1 1/4" 1 1/2 " groups at 100 yds.
Last fall I tried 165 gr. Hornady GMX and the New 168 gr. Nosler E-Tip, this rifle does not like them, 2" groups, Not enough twist to stabilize these longer bullets.

The old style 168 Gr. Nosler E-Tip shot well in this rifle. Less than 1". No Longer Available.
Mauser Extractor, Win. Model 3 position safety, Sako adj. firing pin . Stock design by Melvin Forbes of NULA fame all in one package.

When hunting in rain, I like the bolt construction. Just put the safety on the middle position, Remove from rifle, Twist the bolt handle hard enough to over ride the pop it ball. Unscrew the firing assembly, clean, dry and oil re-assemble. Great for Caribou or Moose hunting in the far north.

I have heard stories about some Kimber Rifles accuracy, The choice is yours.
Good Luck on your choice.

About 10 years ago, I bought a Kimber 84 in .308. It has been returned to the factory 3 times. First, one pillar was not set square. Kimber replaced the stock, with an exceptional piece of wood. Next, gunsmith found a pit near the muzzle. Returned again, new barrel. Finally got it ready to hunt. At the range, loaded three shells in the magazine, one in chamber, fired it and the magazine lid fell open, shells dropped to the ground. Again Kimber repaired it.

I still have it - have shot several deer with it. I can get 3 shot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds with NAB bullets. Also, it blues badly. Would not buy another. Their QC may have improved since I bought this rifle.

I owned an 8400 several years ago. The wood and metal finish was nicely done and it shot sub MOA groups out of its lightweight barrel quite well. The only issue I had with the rifle, which turned out to be a design characteristic of the 8400's action, was sloppiness and occasional binding of the bolt when cycled quickly. I don't know if this was corrected in recent years.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.