Kimber 300 WSM w/Zeiss Conquest scope

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Bighat, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Bighat

Bighat Member

Hey, Just joined and need some advise. My wonderful wife just bought be a Kimber 8400 300WSM with a Zeiss 3x9x40 scope. I'm shooting Winchester XP3 150 grain bullet and can't it to group any better than about 4" at a 100yds. Any thoughts?

2. timl

timl Well-Known Member

I don't know how new to this you are, and I don't want to insult your intelligence, but you should try a couple different types of ammo first. Doing this sucks because 300 wsm ammo isn't cheap, but if you're not a reloader that is your first step. Try posting a question asking other Kimber shooters what factory ammo they are using---that could save you some money.

3. Bighat

Bighat Member

Thanks for your advice! I've been hunting and shooting mostly law enforcement for 30 years. So this problem is giving me a fit. That's what I get for having great equipment for once.

4. 6mm Remington

6mm Remington Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a really nice rifle. I load for a buddy who had a Remington MTN rifle in 270 that shot a 5" group with factory trophy bonded bullets, and he was content with that! I on the other hand about tipped over.

I worked on a load and now it shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yards and works perfectly. Your just going to have to try some until you find what it likes or start loading.:) Some Federal's in the 165 or 180 gr. Accubond might be worth a shot! :D

Good luck. Sounds like a keeper! The rifle and the wife.
    David

5. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

Had the same thing with my Savage in 270WSM. I switched bullets and it became one exceptionally accurate rifle. You might have to try 2-4 brands, but you'll find one that works.

6. Bighat

Bighat Member

Thanks for all the advice on this matter! My wonderful wife also saved for five years for me to go on this Elk so a miss is not an option.

7. Kimber7man

Kimber7man Member

Bight,
    Congrats on your new rifle! Besides trying new ammo: If it is a Classic with wood stock, check to make sure the barrel is completely free floated. Check several times during your range practice.
    If it is a Montana, check to see that the mag box is not binding in the mag well.
    Good luck!

8. Kimber7man

Kimber7man Member

Also make sure of the standard items:
    scope is not broken
    Action screws are tight
    Rings are torqued to proper ft-lbs
    Etc...

9. Bighat

Bighat Member

Kimber7man-
    Thanks for the tip I will check and let you know how it goes.

Bighat