KillFlash

Chrismadrid

Just interested if anybody else has had problems using these (Killflash) and whether its just the TENEBREX or also is a problem with the USO honeycomb filters/shades.

When I bought my Horus-H2 it had one on - and I've always just assumed that the slightly fuzzy image was the HAKKO scope (as teh later ones have had quality issues). But following a thread on the SWFA forum - removed it and the difference is pretty stunning.

I guess it might be a must if the genuine reason is to KILL FLASH - but as a sunshade imo its not worth the effort.

What is even more astounding is that asking any non-shooting optics expert - they all agree that it's a diffraction grating so must affect the light paths.

Are you referring to what they call in the industry an "Anti Reflection Device"?
Usually made of honeycomb shaped material cut in a round form and inserted into the bell end of optics to reduce glare given off by the glass from a light source?
Of course it will degrade optics but its use is intended to subdue the glare leaving the shooter without a direct indication of where he is, the benefit greatly outweighs the consequence of not using one.
In long Range Hunting this device serves no purpose as animals havent yet associated glare (at great distances) with scoped rifles and individuals intent on launching something from the glaring object intended to do great harm and death to that which views it. lol
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave i absolutely beg to differ on that one, i can catagoricaly state that i have on several occasions noted deer bieng spooked by the reflection and flash from a scope lense of from binoculars. It took me a couple of years to work out why the hell a deer on an open hill, with nothing around it, between 300 and 1000m away would suddenly bolt for cover. time and time and time again i've seen the same thing, finaly working it out that the flash was spooking them,i figured it out after me and a mate where glassing each other to read hand signals, we where about 800m apart, the flash from his big 56mm bino's when they caught the sun was far more than i imagined it ever would be. Now i don't expect the deer have worked out its a scope rifle or binos, but the flash just spooks em. I treid out a little experiment with a signaling mirror a couple of times, same effect, deer bolting for cover.
A sun shade on the scope and some scrim scarf draped over optics helps to some extent, as does bieng carefull and aware of catching the worst of the suns glare,, tacticaly a kill flash is an absolute must after sun up and before sun set.
Pete

Interesting, never had it happen to me but not to say that it wont. Anyone else spooked animals with refelctions?
Thanks Pete for correcting a possible error on my part.

Chris ole boy, i am familiar with the Leupold Killflash/ARD.
As mentioned above it is designed to kill the reflective qualities of the front glass, which it does very well.
Secondly, they cut the light transmission down by 15%, great on a good quality scope in the open. Wish they were available before i sold my Mark 4.
I havent noticed any degredation in quality of the image from rainy days/cloudy, bright sunlight in the open and at dusk- Just gives a darker image.

The $13 varieties may be different.

I want to TRY and get a set of photos.

But sat in the shade and pointing out at well lit areas I get the impression that I see alot of images on top if each other. Just slightly out of sync which gives the impresion of a fuzzy edge - also some colour shift. It's off for good.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how do you get a quality picture using a digital camera through the scope? Best i could get up to now was like a film negative.

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but how do you get a quality picture using a digital camera through the scope? Best i could get up to now was like a film negative.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is generally the eyerelief and alignment- here's one I did for a quick test published later on a mates website through the lens of a PremReticles S&B/Leupold hybrid. I did this by hand but really you need to use tripods - And a MACRO facility is a MUST to focus on the ocular focal plane.

VIEW22x.JPG

22x mag at 250ish metres - Bright sun (from behind)

Um, I don't mean to hijack this topic but why does that scope have two turrets on top? Could we get a picture of the scope? Am I once again unaware of a cool shooting accessory that needs to go on my "If I win the lottery." list?

It's a "running boar" scope.

The fine wire and dot are fixed and used to sight in as per normal using OTHER turrets in the normal position. The other turrets control those thicker circles/wires independantly - its for lead in etc.

Was made by Premier reticles but no longer available. Its a Luepy with a Schmidt&Bender Objective lens.

More piccies here - http://www.geocities.com/airecolabora/rboar.htm
Text in Spanish.

Thanks. Rather interesting.

I will now yield the remainder of this thread to the gentleman in Madrid.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts