kestral 3500

Rum and not the liquid

my kestral 3500 turned up today i was reading through the manual and it said i needed to reset the altitude at a refrence point to make sure that its corrrect but then it said some ballistics programs need it to b set to zero. so now im confused do i just keep using it as is or do i need to reset it / calibrate it

thanks

lucas

I think you'll find that most guys have their Kestrels set to an altitude of "0". That way you'll be reading station pressure or the BP at your location. That's the way I have mine set.

Just scroll to the BP window where you set the altitude and set the altitude to "0". Then when you get out of the calibration mode for that window you will be showing the BP at your location.

Sounds like it's set properly. If you check the BP of your meter at your location and compare it to a known BP, like the airport etc., you will notice that your reading is probably lower. That is normal because of the way yours is set.

i get funny reaing when i got to the altitude screen when im waiting for my comp to boot up i have a paly with my kestral and ive got anywhere from -256 to 427 is this because ive adjusted it 2 0 to get my baro corect?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.