Keep accustock or not?

Southernboy2563

I'm in a debate on keeping or upgrading my rifle. It is a savage predator hunter in 6.5-284. It has the accustock on it now and I've been thinkin about upgrading it but don't wanna spend the money unless it's going to improve accuracy. Right now I can shoot 1/2" groups all day with the only load I've really tried. I would like to shoot to 1000 yards one day but don't have anywhere close to do it so my farthest I'll
Be shooting or hunting with it will be 600 yards or less. Weight isn't a huge issue as I don't walk mountains or anything like that where I hunt. Thanks for the help

If its any consolation, for me personally its all about how the stock feels in my hands. I sold my accustock off my old model 12 and never regretted it. I could never warm up to the hollow sound & plastic feel of it. Replaced it with an HS precision at the time & it was much better. I eventually sold the rifle after that. However if I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen a nice stiff, quiet and purrty laminated stock over the HS precision. To me, wood is king. Hope that helps.

I have a Mod 10 in 6.5 Creed that wears the Accu-stock. Very accurate & very ugly :D

I will be replacing it as some point with an XLR chassis most likely. I want the DBM capability as well as the adjustable comb & more vertical grip. I had to add a stock pack to mine in order to get the kind of cheek weld I need...

If you like it, keep it as another stock most likely will not increase accuracy from the rifle. It MAY however, aid in increasing YOUR accuracy as the increased ergonomics of an aftermarket stock more to you suiting can provide increased fit, comfort & ease of use.

t

Outlaw, I've heard that from a good friend that says if I can get one that better fits me than "I" would be more accurate. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a stockade and be done with it. I don't mind wood but rather have a synthetic for the weather resistance. Thanks for the advice though! I just wish hs or someone besides manners made a stock for it. La savage is hard to find stocks for.

Outlaw, I've heard that from a good friend that says if I can get one that better fits me than "I" would be more accurate. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a stockade and be done with it. I don't mind wood but rather have a synthetic for the weather resistance. Thanks for the advice though! I just wish hs or someone besides manners made a stock for it. La savage is hard to find stocks for.

Welcome! Stocks are actually pretty abundant but most of the aftermarkets are chassis style rather than conventionals.

t

throw that plastic crap in the garbage where it belongs that what I did with all 4 of mine :)gun)

From a utilitarian standpoint the couple of accu stock rifles I have in 6.5x284 and 22-250 both deliver .25MOA with tailored loads and get the job done at long range very nicely. Both stocks needed the barrel channel touched up with sandpaper to fully float them. They are not pretty and cheaply made but fit me very well. Since they are routinely subjected to rough hunting conditions, looks didn't matter as long as they were durable. That turned out to be the case and the bedding system has proven to be very stable. Given these factors, I figured I'd keep the factory stocks and use the $$$ towards decent scopes instead of replacement stocks. I'm glad I did. These two rigs are deadly.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.