Kansas, Spear Point??

Well I thought I'd update those the may be interested. I just got home from the April 6th spear point event and had a blast. I wasn't ready for it, as in knowing the targets went to 1400 yards before I got there. While I had only really had my .308 out to about 900 yards ever. My advice for anyone wanting to go is to just go have fun and try it. The swinging platform for prone position with a hand full of targets between 450 to 600 was very challenging. Where I went wrong on that one was I should have crawled onto the platform a little more slowly. I did manage to make contact with a few of the steel plates. So each of the three events were timed. I ran out of time on the 400-1400 steel plates. If I was to go again I will have my hold overs documented further out that my current dope goes. Yesterday we were told that 24 shooters showed up, while today with a 50% chance of rain only about 6 were there. So it went fast today. The lodge where the morning sign up and safety briefing is held has badges and tee shirts for sale. So next time I'll be getting one of those as well. I took the time penalty and bypassed the pistol portion of one of the events. this is what everyone wants to know right here. For an advantage instead of having to reload after five shots those of you with the ten round mags will not have to stress over the count down clock such as I did.

Whats the pistol part about? Any specific caliber have to be used and what range is the pistol part? Sounds pretty cool actually, a little different but cool. Do they ever have just rifle long range competitions? I think I might go to the one in May, its only about 3 hours or so from me. Are you planning on going in May?

The postol part consisted of maybe eight targets. All I recall about it is that last weekend you had to sling your unloaded rifle as you ran throught the postol range. Then once you approached the rifle portion you had to place the unloaded pistol in a bucket and then you were given the ok to go hot at long range. Dont really know anymore details, I didnt do it. Also I guess the land owner (Steve) changes it up a little each month. If your even interested I'd say go do it. I havent ruled out going in May, but I doubt I'll make that one. Before I go back, im going to have my hold overs at least to 900 yards well defined with the ammo I'm shooting.It's not real practical in a timed event dialimg in elevation from 400 to 1400 in a timed event. On the otjer hand it's only $20 and was a lot of fun.

Yep, believe we may have been on the same squad last weekend. That is if both of our vehicles were silver.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.