Kalahari Hunt

Jinx

Was invited by a friend to go Oryx and Springbuck hunting in the Kalahari. We packed up on Thursday morning and left for the weekend. The area has had exceptionally good rain this summer so the game was in very good condition.
The drive is 9 hours and we arrived just in time to see the sun set.

Woke up at 06:30 and the sun rose at 7:30, zeroed the rifles and we were off. I shoot a 264 Win Mag with 140 gr Rhino bullets at 3000 f/s. We shot 6 springbuck, 3 Oryx and 1 kudu. The 1st springbuck fell from a 140 gr. The buck stood quartering forward, the bullet entered the right front shoulder broke the bone and was retrieved in left hind leg. Will weigh the bullets and report on weight retention.

The Oryx below was shot just before sundown with the 264, bullet broke left shoulder, through heart and was found at opposite shoulder under the skin. Will post pics of the bullet, very nice mushroom. Oryx are known for their toughness to take town. The horns measured 932 mm. My friend used a 308 with 180gr bullets and shot his Oryx at exact same place but failed to penetrate to opposite shoulder. Just shows that small calibers are also very deadly.

DSC04462.jpg

The picture below is my friend who went with with a very nice Kudu
DSC04466.jpg

hermanstrydom

Last edited:
Congratulations, nice shooting and awesome game. Beautiful pics and a hunt some of us dream of. Thanks for sharing.

I really like my 264 win mag also. With proper bullets it does a great job on about anything. Congratulations on a fine hunt. Those are some nice animals. Good to be such a short drive from such nice animals. I am fortunate in Wyoming, USA where I live. I can see trophy deer and antelope off my porch and elk, moose, grizzly, sheep, wolves with a 35-45 minute drive.

Thanks for responding and they certainly seem to being doing a good job.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.